Cold my heart

Endrine

I always knew a day will come when I must face the ghosts of my past. I just didn't expect to be today.

I remember their wails, their agony. And the silence. The silence that screamed to my ears. I recall everything.

They dragged me away and threw me in the boat, and we crossed the Dubh back into our territory. Illre stood behind with other Dawners to mask our human scent and plant fake evidence to blame the vampires.

Once on the other side, I knew what I had to do.

Clutching the Book of Hara, I made my escape. I could no longer be Aga, not after what we did. He tricked me, knowing that I would never agree to that horrible act. He used me under the pretense of saving the human girls they took, and I planned the diversion, believing his lies. I lured the nightwalkers to attack the werewolfs, knowing where the slaves were kept.

In my naivety, I didn't think they were attending the she-wolves for their pregnancy.

Filled with remorse, I escaped from the Dawners. But Illre caught me.

I couldn't be left alive, I knew everything about the cell. And I just betrayed them, running with the book.

We fought. He tried to kill me, but lost his balance and we fell into a ravine. As we landed on a wild bush, I stabbed him in the chest. His eyes stared at me in awe as he never believed I had it in me.

Before I had a chance to finish him off, a werewolf pounced out of nowhere. My only luck was that he was exhausted and injured from the attack.

Covered in dirt and blood, I turned to Illre. His shallow breath filled my ears, but he was holding tight to the book. I felt a sting on my leg and realization drew over me. Slowly lifting the fabric, I saw the bite. He saw it too, and we both understood my end was near.

I pulled the book from his hands and ripped the Codex Mortem, throwing the book back to him. I didn't have too much time, and it was easier to hide a page than the whole thing. I ran away and left him to die like the animal he was.

After a while, I collapsed. My feet were numb and my heart exploding. I hid the code under a rock I passed some time ago.

My hand went at the back of my neck, ready to take the small waxed fruit.

As I was gathering my courage, I heard a faint weep. I blamed the venom, but the cry was growing louder. I pulled myself up and followed the sound with wobbly feet.

There she was, wrapped in a beautiful white lace veil and a star on a silver chain crossed on her thin mid. As I held her in my arms, a sea of warmth and calmness engulfed my senses.

Tracing my finger over her small face, she suckled my fingertip.

I needed to find her a home before I die.

With renewed strength and determination, I carried her out of the forest into a field, till all my energy was drained. When I fell on the cold grass, the world went black.

I half opened my eyes slowly. Rays of light darted the sky like a rain of small arrows when something stirred in my arms. She was looking straight into the light with those big round eyes, never averting her gaze, not even when the sun rose in all its splendor.

The pain was gone. I lift the hem, bending on a side for a better view. There was no trace of the bite, like it never existed. Puzzled, I got up with the tiny bundle in my arms. Somehow I felt she was the reason.
We admired together the dawn, and I knew she was my Dawn.