~39~

It was the sound of footfalls that woke me up; hasty, stealthy steps rushing along the corridor and down the stairs. Lia, most likely, on her way to hide presents under the Christmas tree, I concluded, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips. It had been such a great night...

I stretched under my covers luxuriously, revelling in their warmth and softness. Turning towards the window and the sea and the sky beyond, I noticed that the sun had risen fully by now, only to be swallowed by grey, ceaselessly moving clouds, making it impossible to guess where the water ended and the air started. But it didn't matter. Rain or shine, nothing would spoil my mood today. Stoker was right. I can really connect with Vlad whenever I want... and he is free, at home, waiting for my return...

I was starting to doze off again when Lia knocked, then entered even before I could invite her in, a cup of coffee in her hand.

"It's nearly ten o'clock. We are waiting for you downstairs. I have presents for all of you and Bram wants to know if you had a dream..." she started, not giving me time to protest, or even just to reply.

As I sat up and took the coffee from her, still speechless, she moved towards my wardrobe, to choose some clean clothes for me.

"You better wear something comfortable." She rattled on. "The guys said that after brunch we'll walk to Lucas' place along the beach, it will take us at least an hour!"

As I did not say anything she turned to me, a white cardigan in her hand. "Which skirt will you wear with this?"

"Dark blue." I said after a moment of thought, smiling. "And pass me my notebook, too. Please."

She took it from my handbag lying at the bottom of the wardrobe, and gave it to me together with my clothes as I handed her the empty cup.

"I'll be with you in fifteen minutes." I told her distractedly, already lost in writing down my dream.

"I'll send Lucas to get you if you won't." She threatened as the door closed behind her.

When I exited my room finally, washed, dressed, arms full of presents for my friends, I bumped into Lucas who was just about to knock on my door.

"Sorry," he apologized, taking a couple of larger packets from me. "Your friend is at least as annoying and insistent as my uncle. She made me come up here..."

I laughed. Poor Lucas. "Don't apologize. I know her well enough. And now that she's with your uncle, she, they'll be unbearable!" I rolled my eyes at him, making him chuckle.

Down in the sitting room the fire was burning, the coffee table was obliterated by a large quantity of foods and drinks for our brunch and there were presents at the foot of the Christmas tree.

It was a perfect morning, there was no rush, no urgency to do anything. As Mum was off sailing with Julian and his friends, we would not see them today. We were free until the evening, when we would dine with Lucas' family.

It will be a great day. If only Vlad could be here with me. I wished, sighing, as I sat on the cushions arranged on the floor by the fireplace, and my eyes strolled to Lia and Stoker.

They looked so happy together, she lying on the sofa, her head resting on his lap, as he played with her hair while they stared in each other's eyes silently, lost to the world. The sight of them made me feel lonely and empty, I needed Vlad at my side.

The dreams are not enough. I thought, recalling my vision. The seed of the idea that settled in my mind last night was starting to grow-- if I could go back to Vlad, but could not stay longer than another year, maybe... maybe I could lead him out from there and...