~28~

"Your dreams Samara. Tell me about them." Stoker urged once I reached him in the sitting room.

He was standing by the window, scanning the busy road below for whoever had been following us while I made our tea, but joined me on the sofa as soon as I sat down.

I opened my mouth... and couldn't talk about my visions. Not yet, not to him. They felt too personal, they were mine and Vlad's and nobody else's. Even the last one.

"Samara, it may be important." He insisted, trying to read my glum expression as I relived the previous night's dream.

Then, seeing my awkward hesitation, he shook his head and I knew he would let it slip for the moment, but not for long.

"Who is Viorel?" I asked, changing the subject quickly before he would change his mind.

Stoker took a deep breath then, resigned, explained patiently.

"Viorel is a very unstable vampire, that's the thing that should concern you the most about him. Once, a long time ago, he came to me like the others, seeking help. He was doing well for a while, but soon he just slipped back to his habits and... Well, they don't all have your husband's iron will." Stoker said, glancing away from me.

He seemed to be lost in thoughts or memories, and I waited for him to start talking again.

"He has never been lucky in his long life, and he's been around much longer than I." Stoker added, resuming his talk and looking at me again. "Viorel is related to your husband, like the family you met in that hotel in Bran, and he thinks he might find a better, nobler life inside your other world. But I'm sure that Lord Vlad will not welcome someone like him with open arms, his relative or not."

"So you didn't tell him that there's a passage in Bran Castle."

"Of course not. That's why he's going to try to get any information he can from you. Lucas told me about your meeting, how he disturbed you before Viorel could lead you who knows where... I know that he approached every red-haired girl visiting Bran, year after year... Finally he got the right one and I think he knows it. He will try to talk to you again."

"But, how can he be so sure it's me?" I asked, feeling guilty. I should have denied everything, but I had been desperate for the answers he promised...

"If nothing else, your ring would have given you away." Stoker said.

"My ring?" I asked, stroking the large tear-shaped diamond absentmindedly, then looking back at him.

"Of course. In our world it's as famous, as legendary as yourself." He smiled. "Every vampire knows about you, Samara. They might not believe you are real, but they know."

"That's... not good, is it?" I asked, shivering involuntarily.

"No, not for you, and not for your child. As I said, I don't think they would want to... harm you, or use you to try to get to your husband, not those I know, at least. But they'll all be curious. They'll try to approach you, and you, as very human as you still are... Let's just say that not all of them..."

"Fine, fine, I don't need to hear that again!" I called, reaching for my cup. He was freaking me out. I remembered my encounter with Radu too well.

I let my fingers trail along the scar on the side of my neck with my free hand, not realising I was doing so until Stoker's voice disturbed my silent reverie.

"Is that..."

"Yes," I muttered, "Radu."

"So you know what meeting a 'real' vampire means." He stated.