Chapter 11

Warning: sensitive topics are being discussed in this chapter, which can be triggering. Read at own risk!

We were driving back home, but my mind was still thinking about the conversation during dinner. Edric had not said no to Leo because I was his wife, he said no because he thought I was not pretty enough, and he was afraid of his reputation being damaged.

When we came back, I immediately made my way inside to take this way to high heels off my feet. Slowly I headed upstairs as my feet were hurting. Entering the bedroom, I went to the bed to sit. I looked at my feet for the damage, but it was not that bad. My skin was a bit red on some places, but no blisters.

I stood up after I had collected all my energy to make myself ready for the night when Edric walked in. "Where are you going?" He asked me in a dark voice.

"T-the closet, t-to g-get ready f-for bed." Not once I had spoken normally to him. My fear always got the best of me, making me stutter.

"I don't think so." My evil husband said.

He stalker over to me. "W-what do you m-mean?" I stepped back and fell on the bed.

"It means you can't get ready to sleep yet." He placed both his hands next to my head and bend over me. I now knew where this was going, and I did not want this.

• • •

Putting up a fight last night was not a good decision. My bruises on my body and especially on my neck had gotten worse. Not only that, I also got an extra bruise on my face and a busted lip. Edric had slapped me hard on the face when I tried to kick him off me.

My body felt like a truck ran over it. With a lot of struggle, I got out of bed, dressed my wounds, and made myself ready for the day. As I made breakfast I wanted to break down and just cry. Every movement caused a lot of pain and it was then it hit me this could be a normal thing in my life right now.

A life that would be filled with pain and fear because I was married to the devil. It was at this point I really hated Edric. This was the first time in my life I hated another soul. I felt bad about it because this was not me. I had never hated something, I did not like certain things, but I never hated something or someone. Only we were talking about Edric and not once he acted nice to me or did something nice for me. He had hurt, degraded, and violated me.

So Edric did not only mistreat me, but he also started to change me as well. I was never the person to stay down and not get up. I never gave up because I could not be depressed back at home. I was most of the time alone and loneliness was a key factor for depression, so I needed to have a positive attitude to make my life brighter than it was.

I had found a way to deal with my loneliness, even though there were days it was difficult for me, like when I could not go to the garden anymore. What also helped was having a goal. My goal was leaving the house and exploring the outside world. I strongly believed that someday my father would let me go. That thought kept me going.

But now... Now I was still alone, I lived in a toxic environment and the worst part of it all was I had no goal. I knew escaping Edric would not be the solution because I would not escape the real problem, which was my father.

I knew for sure my father was capable of finding me and he would either lock me up with him or with Edric. And my ignorance towards the life outside the house did not help me either. Do not get me wrong, I am very curious of what is out there, but I am also scared, especially because of Edric. He showed me how bad people could be.

I was brought back to reality with Edric entering the kitchen. His coffee was ready, so I quickly served it to him. Again, he did not thank me.

First, I was afraid of this marriage because I had to live with a person I did not know, but secretly I had hoped I would at least like him. Now, I am afraid of him and just hope to get through this way of living. I no way I was going to like him, even when he would change his attitude.

He was bad and no number of apologies would make right what he had done to me.

After breakfast I again went to the library to finish my job. It was hard. My whole body was sore and placing the books on the shelves hurt. Only I could not stop. I needed to keep myself busy or my mind would wander to all the bad thoughts and memories. I did not want that, so slowly I tried to continue with my work.

Edric had stayed home today, which frightened me. Normally when he was gone, I felt I could breathe, but now I had this feeling I had to keep looking over my shoulder. The pain and stress made me tired, it exhausted me. So around four in the afternoon I could not work on my organising job anymore.

I was resting for a couple of minutes when I heard Edric shout my name. I made my way over to the room where I heard his voice coming from. Careful I walked into the living room where I saw him sitting on the couch. But he was not alone, Alex was here as well. When we locked eyes, I had expected him to make comment about my bruises but not in worried way, but in a way to encourage Edric, like Leo did.

During our dinner last night Leo had made a comment that he had no problem in hitting a woman if she did not listen. But Alex did not do that. He had a worried look on his face when he saw my bruises and busted lip.

When Edric noticed me he ordered me, "Get us beers." I nodded my head and went to the kitchen to get them. I served them the bottles and left the room. As I left the living room, I heard Alex speak to Edric in a low voice. I did not hear everything but what I did hear was, "Dude, you need to treat her better."

His words meant a great deal to me. Until now it was only my brother who stood up for me from time to time. Only Edric thought different. "She does not listen to me; she needs to learn that I'm the one in charge not her." Hearing those words caused a wave of emotions washing over me. I quickly made my way back to the library and sat there and cried.

I did listen, right? And what had I to learn? I am a proper lady and I have my high school diploma. I knew how to act properly I had not forgotten about my manners he did. He was the one in the wrong. It felt unfair.

An unfairness I could not beat. 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!

P.S. Please let me know what you think of the story!