Chapter 26

Slight trigger warning: sensitive topics are being discussed in this chapter read at own risk!

With wide eyes I looked at the two people who I thought were gone, dead, never able to speak, walk or breath again. I heard Nicholas cursing in the background. The two of them looked like visiting here was the most normal thing to do. They looked calm and at ease. It was when they noticed me when they both looked shocked.

The four of us where all quiet until I started to stammer, "H-how, how is this possible?" I said in such disbelief. Slowly I walked up to my brother. "H-how are you alive?" I placed a hand on his chest, making sure this was not an illusion. When my hand made contact with his body, I could feel his warmth, his steady heartbeat. Tears welled up in my eyes. I buried my face in my brother's chest and held him tight. Not wanting to let go, too afraid he would disappear if I did. He welcomed the hug and put his arms around me as well.

I cried my heart out. Feeling so relieved I was not all alone in this world. After our little moment I stepped back and wiped the tears from my face. "How?" I whispered again. "And how long did you know?" I now faced Nicholas. He groaned.

"Ava... you were not supposed to know they were still alive." He said with his brows furrowed indicating he was irritated by the situation.

"How- how are you alive? They said... you said," I turned towards Evelyn, "you said Xavier was dead. And-and after the break in I thought you were dead as well. What's going on?!" I waved with my arms, desperately to find answers. Nobody said a word. It was dead quiet. I could only hear my own heartbeat, which was rapidly by the stress and confusion my body went through.

"Somebody please explain." I whispered, a tear escaping my eye.

"Ava," Xavier held my hands, "it's a long story. Maybe another time-"

"No!" I trusted my hands backwards from his. "I don't want to be kept in the dark again."

Nicholas sighed. "She is right Xavier. Why don't we make ourselves more comfortable? Let's go downstairs."

Xavier and Evelyn both took a seat at the couch across from ours, where I and Nicholas were sitting. The atmosphere was tense. Especially my brother and friend looked stressed.

"So..." Xavier started, "After father's murder and the attack on me things changed quickly. The attack on me failed, obviously. They had targeted the wrong car. But when I was in a safehouse it was then I heard about everything. Dad's murder and how our... company buildings were confiscated. Many of our... employees had walked over to other companies and soon I stood alone-"

I sighed. "Xavier, I know you work for the mafia, or you are the mafia? Anyway... I know." He looked at me with wide eyes. Not knowing what to say. His mouth gaping wide. He stammered incoherently. "Just go on." I whispered.

"Uhm... yeah, okay. So, I was alone and had no one to rely on except Nicholas. He had connections with someone in the Verlice's mafia and made sure that you were safe. After that I needed to find out who it was attacking us." Now he struggled with his words again. Evelyn put her hands on his, encouraging him to go on. "After some digging with the help of Nicholas' informant, we found out... that... that... it was the Verlice's. It was Edric's father who came up with the idea, after you were married to Edric, to kill the rest of the Angelo's so they could stand on top."

Honestly at this point I was not surprised anymore. The only reason why I was not at tears right now was because my brother was still alive despite their attack. It was Evelyn who shed a few tears. "I'm sorry Ava. I had no idea. I-I always hated the family I was born in. I never understood how they could be this cruel." My brother consoled Evelyn. He held her hands and wiped away her tears. For some reason, a pang of jealousy shot through my heart. Xavier was worried about Evelyn, meanwhile I was, until this day, grieving for his death. It felt like betrayal on a sibling level.

"So, what happened next?" I asked after Evelyn had calmed down.

"Verlice was at top and a new target for other mafias and gangs. Next thing Edric was attacked. I went to his house as fast as I could to find you, only you were gone. I went to his parents' house hoping for some miracle reason you were there. But I found dead bodies there instead of you, until Evelyn came home. I took her with me to keep her safe and asked Nicholas to find you. Things calmed down in the underworld for a while, no one daring to take the top position but now the rivalry has started again and... and you are in the middle of it." The last part came out quiet.

"That's why I wanted for you to stay inside." Nicholas explained.

"Why am I in the middle of it?"

"The Angelo's and the Verlice's were top dogs, strong competitors no one really matched them or dared to stand in the ring with them, like me. My family has always supported the Angelo's but mostly stayed neutral in the underworld so to say. But that has to be changed I'm afraid." He explained further.

"Ava... what I'm about to tell you will not please you, maybe even anger you. But you have to keep in mind that we are doing this to keep you, your brother and Evelyn safe." I nodded my head and showed him he could go on. "The two top competitors are taken out, except for you. You, my dear, are the ticket to be the number one in the underworld. Everybody else is at the same level, but you change that. Having the Angelo daughter is considered as the right to claim themselves as a top dog. To prevent this from happening we, Xavier, Evelyn, and I, came up with a plan. A plan we did not want to execute but are forced to... If you... if you marry me-"

"No!" I stood up not wanting to hear anymore of this so-called plan. "Not this again!"

"Ava listen to us." My brother started.

"No, you listen to me! I do not wish to be treated like this again!" I walked away, only to be grabbed by Xavier. "Ava, you don't understand. We-"

"YOU DON'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND!" I screamed at the top of my longs. All of my emotions were let lose. Tears were constantly streaming down my face. "I've ben locked up all my life! LOCKED UP! While you were free to do whatever you wanted like hanging out with your friends, going to the mall or, or the movies. Something I experienced only a couple of weeks ago, I was trained to be a so called 'proper lady'. They made me an ignorant, naïve push-over! I had no idea how things worked and yet anyway I was sent to the lion's den. To Edric. He beat me, violated me and raped me! I was kidnapped, beaten half to death, meanwhile I thought I had lost my family and only friend I ever made. While you two were cuddling up with each other!... I changed into a person I did not recognize, a person with only dark thoughts, a depressed person. Someone I never thought I would become when I lived with father in my protective, little bubble. So, no. You don't understand Xavier." And with that I stormed off. 

A/N: lot's of dialoge I know and lot's of things are explained. If you have any questions about this chapter please let me know. For me it all makes sense in my head, but I don't know if what i wanted to say is also written down. 

Thanks for reading and stay safe! 

BTW: if people wonder why I don't say specifically which sensitve topics are being discussed it's because there are always more than two or three topics and in my bio I summed up all the sesitive topics that are being mentioned in the book. So if I say 'sensitive topics' I reffer to the bio of this story.