Chapter 33

So before you read I need to say a few things and please read this. The first is this if you want Ava to have a happy end STOP HERE! You can just imagine that Ava will fly to Canada and have there a good life, going to college, find a job, maybe get a partner (may this be a man or woman). But if you are curious about the ending I have in mind then continue. It will not be as happy as some of you might have hoped. But sometimes not everything happens the way we want.

Anyway if you made it this far then enjoy reading! 

I stood shaking on my legs, never in my life was I so afraid, except for the fact I was kidnapped once. I was back again at Nicholas' mansion. It was still dark and the world had gone to sleep. A cold breeze passed by us, between me, Evelyn and Victor, and my brother and Nicholas. We were both taken out of the car and Evelyn and I looked both panicked. The tension was real. Victor looked at Nicholas with a smug face. He knew he had the upper hand in this. It was not supposed to be this way. Evelyn and I would have been on the boat if it weren't for the cruel man next to me who held my arm in a tight grip.

It started when we arrived at the harbor. Like here, it was too quiet when we got to our destination. Nicholas had said there would be multiple guards near us wherever we went, but once there, no one was in sight. The door of the car in front of us was opened by one of Nicholas' men, only to be closed again. The moment he tried to investigate he was shot. I remembered how I screamed.

Evelyn came close to me as we held each other for dear life. After the first shot men in black suits came from every corner you could see. We were easily outnumbered. Soon Victor came from his hiding place. He had threatened me, if I did not cooperate he would first kill Evelyn and then every other man that was standing right there working for Nicholas. Of course, I could not go against him. I did not want more people to die. Especially because of me.

Evelyn and I obliged and followed him to his car. The ride back home felt way longer than the one we took to the harbor. Victor was looking at me during the whole drive to Nicholas and Xavier. Making disgusting comments about how I would make a good woman for him. I squirmed in my seat and looked at my only friend for help.

I could see in Evelyn her eyes she was afraid as well, but tried to reassure me that everything would be okay with her eyes. How much I loved her eyes. Every time Victor made a comment I would look at her for some peace.

Once we arrived at home fear struck me. I had no idea what was going to happen next. Victor grabbed me and dragged me out of the car. Right then Xavier and Nicholas ran out of the house. You could see in Nicholas' eyes he wanted to act but had to remain calm to make sure no mistakes would be made.

After a long silence, it was Victor who spoke up, "You disappoint me, Nico. I thought you would be smarter than this."

Nicholas's eyes darkened, not liking the condescending tone the man next to me used. "Let the girls go." He growled out.

Victor chuckled, "Not so fast Nico. You have made a mistake and now you need to face the consequences."

"Nothing was signed. Technically you have nothing to stand on... So, hand over the girls." Nicholas looked firm. I had never seen him like this, this serious, this scary.

Victor was now laughing out loud. "Don't forget who pulls the strings here Nico. One word from me and the four of you are hunted down before you can even say 'marriage'. Now my proposal is the following. You either give me Ava and pay a large sum to make up for the grave mistake you just made. Or I take the other girl, have some fun with her until you still give me Ava. So what is it going to be?" His voice was sinister and even more cruel than Edric's.

The moment Evelyn was being mentioned my brother yelled out 'no'. I did not want that as well. Nobody should be taken by this evil man.

I could see the battle in Nicholas's eyes. He could just let me go. It would not hurt him, not physically at least, and Evelyn would be safe. Meaning that he could still have my brother on his side. It was only logical, but I could see he did not want to choose the logical option.

When Nicholas remained for too long quiet Victor spoke up again, "Taking the other girl it is. Seems like you need a bit of stimulus."

My eyes went wide. Before I could stop myself I had yelled out, "No! Not Evelyn!" Victor stopped in his tracks and turned to me. "So, the girl does know how to speak up. Tell me Ava what do you have in mind in that pretty little head of yours?"

I panicked. My whole body went stiff. I started to stutter, "I-I...I..."

"Yes?" Victor taunted.

"Well, uhm, can you maybe give us a second chance?... We will...Uhm you know..." I whispered the last part.

"No, I don't know," Victor said with a wicked smile. "We will get pregnant," I said in a low voice.

"Will you now? How can I trust you after everything has happened?" Again that stupid condescending voice of his. I hated this man so much. I balled my hands into fists for what I was going to say now. "You give the conditions, we follow."

Right when I said that both Nicholas and Xavier started to shout.

"You can't do this Victor."

"Ava, don't!"

Victor held up his hand to get them quiet, "So you want me to take Evelyn instead?" Again both men started to argue again. It didn't help honestly. It was a big mess. All I wanted was to escape from here. I was so close to leaving this depressing life, for it to mess up again. I hated it.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Victor's words. "Let's get inside, shall we? And because I trust Ava's words over yours, Evelyn will get to stay with you while we talk. But Ava stays with me." Victor nodded his head to the guard that held Evelyn and let her go. In an instant, she was in the arms of my brother, while I was still in the arms of the enemy.

We made our way into the mansion and sat down in the living room, which was divided by Victor's men and Nicholas' men. I had to sit down next to Victor, while Evelyn was in the safe arms of Xavier. I envied her so much.

"We need to make some adjustments to the contract I had made for you, but still we can sign the draft here. We don't want a repeating of history now, do we?" Victor asked. I could see how both men tried to keep their calm to not worsen the situation.

"Now, my conditions are the following, and listen well. First, you were going to lend me two warehouses, now you will give me one with all the security that comes with it and lend me two more. The dock will be assigned to me for at least two years. Then, I want to be in that business deal with those new untraceable weapons, don't try to act coy with me. I know of it." 

Victor shared a sharp look at Nicholas as he continued, "You will also promise me that whenever I have a shortage of men you will provide me some of your own. And lastly, the two of you will live in one of the houses I own and you can't leave without my permission. Don't worry I will not be living there as well, but I will make visits to see how you two are doing. You can of course continue with your work from there, you just can't leave. Quite simple right?"

"Why going through all this trouble?" Xavier asked. His eyes looked like they could kill somebody. This was a new side of my brother I had never seen.

"Well, why wouldn't I? I think it is not a secret my family struggles the last two years and by doing this I will, either way, get my mafia where it once was. By either using Nicholas' well-equipped means or your lovely family name, Xavier Angelo." A shiver ran down my spine when he said that.

"Is the draft ready?" Victor asked at one of the men who was busy penning everything down that was being said. The said man nodded his head and laid down the original contract with the adjustments in pen on it. Nicholas and Victor both signed it.

Suddenly, something came to my mind. "Does that mean Xavier and Evelyn have to stay here?" I asked.

"It isn't that girl's job to get pregnant, so no they will not come. My guards will take both of you in two hours to the house." And with that Victor left. Dread filled my stomach. I had to leave behind my brother and Evelyn again to do something I absolutely did not want, getting pregnant. 

Thanks for reading and have a nice day/night!