Chapter 31

Meaning the girl is free to claim. No, no not this again. Why can't these people let me be? I hated father after everything he did to me, but I now truly understood why he kept me away from these men. Why can't they just leave me alone?

My body started to shake. With my two hands, I had to grip Nicholas' arm to steady myself. I could not believe this was happening again. Again! I wanted to go home and hide from the world. To run away as far as possible.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Nicholas hissed. "She is my wife not some whore to be passed around." Victor seemed not to be faced by the words Nicholas said. He only laughed and smiled.

"Well if you are not giving her hand away I will tell your lovely guests that the two of you are not fully married yet," Victor said with no care in the world. I could not believe how he could be so calm while discussing such a horrible topic. Talking about someone else's life like it was nothing at all.

Nicholas tensed even more if that was possible. "Don't you dare."

"Oh I dare, you know that. But if you fuck behind one of these doors the problem would be fixed, just like that." That comment set Nicholas off. He broke away from my tight grip and grabbed Victor by his collar. In an instant, all the bodyguards in the room came into action.

I gasped, not being able to grasp what was happening. I had not let Victor's word sink in, yet there was already so much happening. Everybody was alert, well the bodyguards were. Some of the guests were too busy conversing with one another to notice what was going on. And the music helped to cover quite a bit of the commotion that was created.

"Ah ta ta ta, let's not blow this out of proportion Nicholas. I have more bodyguards around here than you can imagine, and I have not even included my close men." Nicholas then let go of Victor. "I am sorry, that was maybe a bit too barbaric of me to say." Barbaric it was indeed. His comment triggered some horrifying memories of me and Edric. My heartbeat speeded up and my breathing became shallow. I got dizzy and again grabbed Nicholas' arm for support. I needed to get out of here.

"You think?" Nicholas asked angrily.

"Yes, a bit. But I will not let this go Nico and because of the good man I am, I am willing to make a deal with you two." Victor proposed.

"And what is this deal you are speaking of?" Nicholas asked through his gritted teeth.

"I will give the two of you, let's say...nine months to get pregnant. That will be proof enough, I think. In the meantime, because I am so incredibly patient, you will give me two warehouses and you will share your dock with me. And if you do not succeed I will spread the word around you are not fully married. You know how much influence I have in our world Nicholas. So, think wisely." I could not believe what Victor said. I did not know how to get out of this, but I knew we could not accept this deal. I did not plan to stay married to Nicholas for much longer than needed and I definitely did not want to be pregnant again after last time.

Nicholas looked at me and then at Victor. "Nicholas," I whispered desperately. Hoping he understood that this was not something worthy of accepting. My husband only put his hand over mine. "Nine months you say? And you will not speak of this? To anyone?" I stood there flabbergasted. Did Nicholas really think seriously about Victor's proposal?

"I promise, you will have my word." Victor smiled.

"Your word?"

"Well if you don't trust me, which I don't take personally, I can set something up on paper. I'll send my lawyer to you." After Victor's words, it remained quiet for some time between the three of us. I could see the battle in Nicholas' hazel eyes. I really did hope he would make the right decision.

Nicholas sighed. "I'll expect your lawyer then." Victor clapped his hands. "Good choice Nico." And with that, he walked away. When he was out of our eyesight I turned to my so-called husband. "Nicholas?! What have you done?!" I hissed. "Ava, please," Nicholas begged.

"No, I am done with you." I walked away from him, in search of my brother. I wanted to home. Now. I had to push my way through the crowd that seemed bigger than before. It took me ten minutes to find my brother and Evelyn.

"Ava? What's wrong? And where is Nicholas?" Xavier was flustered by my sudden presence, so was Evelyn. "Dear, are you alright?" It was now Evelyn who asked. I did not know what to say. I was in shock. Once again my future was filled with unsettling uncertainties. I could not go through this again, not again. Tears started to form in my eyes. The only thing I could say was, "Home...home."

"It's alright darling. We will take you home. Xavier, get the limo upfront." Evelyn directed all of us towards the exit of the hotel. She had put her arm around me and guided me. I felt safe in her arms. And for a short moment, I got myself to calm down.

When we were waiting for the car, I heard Nicholas behind us. He was speaking with Xavier, what about, I did not know. I only did not want him to be near me. "Evelyn, Nicholas can't come with us," I whispered.

"Why?" She started. "Just...just don't let him." I pleaded.

"Alright." She turned around and spread the news to the men. There was an objection from my brother, but Nicholas agreed to my request.

The limo arrived in front of us and Evelyn and I entered. Xavier did not follow, only I did not bother to think why. I snuggled against Evelyn's side to seek some warmth and safety. "Poor thing. You are shaking. What happened Ava?" I shook my head, not being able to answer her question.

Once we were home Evelyn helped me to get to bed. She tucked me in and wished me a good night. Sleep did not get to me. I laid awake for a long time. I could only think about the bad things that were about to come. How desperately I would fight to stop it, but would not work anyway. I never had any luck in that department.

There was shouting downstairs. Mostly between Evelyn and Nicholas. I hated they fought about me, but I was too tired and exhausted to go downstairs and make an end to it. Time passed on and I saw how stars made a place for the sun in the sky. I heard the birds waking up and smelled how breakfast was being made.

I was the first at breakfast. Not that I was interested in any of the food. I was simply done with laying down in my bed. I was enjoying the view of the garden with the flowers I planted when I was being disturbed by a voice. A voice I did not want to hear. "Ava? Can we talk?"

I kept my back facing Nicholas. "No," I said sternly.

"Ava please, let me explain." He pleaded.

"There is nothing to be explained. You are just as worse, as evil like anybody else." My voice wavered. I tried to sound stern, but the betrayal I felt from Nicholas made me upset.

"I'm sorry you feel that way Ava, I really am. But I did not accept the deal for the reasons you think I did."

"Really?" Tears were now rolling down my cheeks. I could not believe the audacity he had.

"Really. I do not plan to get you pregnant. I only accepted Victor's deal to buy us some time." It was then I turned around. "But how are we supposed to get out of this Nicholas?! How?!" I screamed. I felt utterly hopeless about the whole ordeal. "I can't do this anymore. Enough is enough."

Nicholas looked at me with pity. He made his way to me and engulfed me in a hug where I cried my heart out.

A/N: please let me know what you think about how the story is coming along.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day/night!