Chapter 20

"Don't." That was all I said when I felt someone pick up my body. "Please don't," I said in a whisper. Two arms held me up and I felt how we moved slowly and carefully out of the basement. I tried to resist, but the person who held me shushed me in a calming way. I wanted to tell them to let me be, to leave me behind. I did not want to be tortured by something or someone again.

I could not go through a rough period anymore. I had lost too many loved ones in a short period of time, I had felt too much pain for three lifetimes already at the age of eighteen. I just wanted peace. Leave me alone.

• • •

I was embraced in softness. I tried to move; my body ached. I noticed I was laying down on a bed and a good one at that. I opened my eyes and was met with a luxurious bedroom. I laid in a California King's bed, which had the softest sheets laying on them I had ever felt. The interior room had the same color theme, light grey, gold, and white. This was something better to wake up to, than the basement.

The basement.

The memories from the basement came all back to me. In an instant, my hands went to my baby bump, but it was no longer there. The empty feeling in my hands made me cry. I clasped my hands against my face and cried in them. It was only then I noticed I was hooked up to an IV.

I did not know what was happening around me. Had this Lex brought me up? Had someone else taken me?

All these thoughts made me frustrated, angry, and depressed. I wanted nothing more and go back in time when I still lived in my father's house and Xavier would visit us from time to time. I longed for the feeling of being in my brother's warm embrace.

I was brought back to reality when I heard someone coming in. It was an old lady in a maid's uniform. In her hands, she held a tray with food on it.

"Good to see you awake dear. You had us a bit scared for a while, but luckily the Lord helped us." She put the tray on the nightstand and checked the IV. "I'll call the nurse, the IV is no longer necessary." I still had not said a word. I just looked at her.

"Oh, how rude of me! I have yet to introduce myself. My name is Debbie I work for master Ramirez. I brought something light for you to eat, you need it dear. You look a bit pale. If you need me just press this button right here on the nightstand and I will be there in just a second." I only nodded my head at that and with that she left.

I looked at the food, it did not appeal to me. I made myself a bit more comfortable. I had already woken up in a slight sitting up position, now I pushed myself a bit down. My body was tired and all I wanted was to sleep. So, I could forget about everything else.

I woke up by the sound of the bedroom door being opened. Careful I sat up and was met with an unfamiliar face. It was a young man around the age of Edric. I wondered who he was. Was he possibly connected to this Lex guy?

The mystery man walked up to me and sat down on an armchair near my bedside. He leaned back and spoke. "I see you haven't touched the food yet. Was it not to your liking?" He was very calm, and his face was unreadable.

"Who are you?" I asked back. I could not care for that damn food. I wanted answers and when given to me I would escape to God knows where.

He sighed. "I see you are not in the mood for a casual talk. I don't blame you, given the fact of what you have endured so far." He stood up and walked up to the window behind the chair, putting his hands in his pockets. "My name is Nicholas Ramirez and you're currently in my house."

"Do you work for Lex?"

A small chuckle was heard in the room. "Lex whished he could work for me, although I would never work with such a low-life."

My brows furrowed, what was he talking about? Could somebody please tell me what is going on!?

"Then... w-who are you?" I stuttered slightly. Not knowing who he was scared me, I really thought he was connected to Lex, but now I was once again in the dark. What were his intentions with me? Who was this mystery man?

Nicholas turned around. "You don't have to be scared of me, I will protect you. But I'm not going to explain who I really am right now. You need time to rest and to heal... So, please eat your meals, take plenty of time to nap and then I will tell you more."

My hands clenched into fists. I was tired of being kept in the dark repeatedly. "No, I want answers and I want them now," I said stern, anger bubbling up in me.

Nicholas looked surprised by my little outburst. "Ava, I understand that you went through a rough period, but you got to trust me on this one."

A humorless laugh escaped my lips. "You, you have no idea at all what I went through. You could not possibly understand how I'm feeling right now. You have absolutely no idea at all!" I sobbed. "I lost everything in the past few months and now I'm supposed to trust you!" I yelled at him.

I snapped.

I had changed, everything had changed. I hated it and I wanted everything to end. I did not want to live in a constant feeling of fear, of not knowing what is happening around me.

His eyes turned soft. He walked over to the bed and sat down on the end of it. I backed away but winced because of the pain.

"I'm sorry Ava, that was a poor choice of words. But right now, I can't give you the answers you seek. I promise I will explain everything to you, but you need to rest. You need to be physically and mentally healed for what I'm about to tell you. So, try to eat the food and rest. If you need me just ask Debbie and I'll come." That was all he said and left.

I was still frustrated though. I tried to take some bites of the food, took some sips from the water standing next to me, and laid back.

I hope he will stay true to his words.

Thanks for reading and stay safe!