Chapter 30

Evelyn and I made our way down towards the foyer. Both our dresses moved majestically around our bodies as we made our descent down the stairs. Both men were waiting for us as they stood in their sharp-looking suits. Nicholas was wearing a dark black suit with a matching black dress shirt. Xavier, on the other hand, wore more lighter clothes. His suit was grey with a light grey dress shirt, matched with a burgundy red tie.

It was my brother who spoke up first as we got in their eye-sight. "You look lovely, both of you ladies." He smiled. He always smiled when Evelyn was in the room. I wished somebody would do that when I would enter the room.

Maybe, someday. After all this is over.

When we were at the bottom of the stairs Evelyn thanked Xavier for the compliment. "I think 'beautiful' is a better way to phrase how our ladies look." Nicholas finally said as I stood beside him. "You look really beautiful Ava." He said in a low voice.

I did not know how to take the compliment. "Y-You think?" I stammered. Nervously I smoothed out the skirt of the dress I wore. It was purple, the top part was heart-shaped, tucked around my waist and from there the skirt went down in an A-line.

"Yes. Shall we?" Nicholas asked as he held out his arm for me. With a questioning face I looked at him. Wondering why he held out his arm like that.

The said man chuckled. "I know you find it difficult to walk in heels. I noticed at our wedding." He smirked at me. A slight blush washed over my face and very gracefully I hooked my arm with his. Nicholas gesture calmed down some of the nerves I had for tonight. The ball.

Evelyn called it a party, but it was, in fact, a ball. Nicholas had invited friends and enemies of his mafia. This, to show enough people to believe we were indeed a convincing and legally married couple. Nicholas warned me that he might act a bit different towards me from how he acts at home, but respectfully of course. So, people would be convinced of us. I was truly grateful for his 'heads up', so to say.

When we all sat down in the limo Nicholas made sure I could watch out of the window. He knew how much I loved it. I heard Xavier and Evelyn on the background whispering and giggling like schoolchildren. It seemed that everybody was not nervous about tonight. Of course, all three of them were used to go to events like this. Especially the men.

I, on the other hand, was not used to parties, dinners or balls. Technically, this was not the first event I went to if you count the party that was held at father's house. The same night my hand was promised to a wicked man and later my ex-husband named Edric. Memories of that night flashed through my mind together with the ones after that dreadful moment. Fear coursed through my body. What were we doing? I cannot go to the party. What if something happened? What if I or the others got hurt? I did not even like huge crowds.

Absent-mindedly I started to pick at my dress, which caused the attention of Nicholas. He had put his large hand over mine. It startled me. "Didn't mean to frighten you. You seem stressed. Are you alright?" He silently asked.

I shook my head. "No. I cannot do this Nicholas. I simply cannot." I whispered as I did not want to alarm the lovebirds.

"Of course you can. After everything you went through, this is a piece of cake." He smiled kindly to me.

"No, I really cannot. What if something goes wrong, or...or what if-" Nicholas took both my hands in his, which caused me to stop my rambling. "You are a strong woman, Ava. Whatever it is you will get through this. And I will be there to protect you, your brother as well. Nothing will go wrong tonight, I promise you." Nicholas put a small kiss on my forehead. Another gesture I appreciated much.

We had finally arrived in front of the hotel where the ball was being hosted. The door of the limo was opened from the outside and Xavier and Evelyn were the first ones to get out of the vehicle. Soon followed by Nicholas and me, who held his hand out to me, again. Once outside I could see the full grandness of the building. It screamed richness and luxury by the golden details and exotic plants on the inside and out. Bodyguards were all around together with other guests that had arrived, just before us.