Chapter 29

"Trouble? What trouble?" I asked.

Both men in front of me looked at each other for a second when Xavier nodded his head towards Nicholas. The said men straightened his back and cleared his throat. "I'm afraid I have to tell you bad news, again. It seems that the news of us being married has not convinced everybody. Some think our marriage documents are forged, fake if you will."

Nicholas gave me an apologetic look. It was quite frustrating, really. We did all of this so I could have my old life back as much as possible, maybe with even more freedom. But this, this sets us back again. I really do not understand this power hunger of people.

"So, what now? What do we have to do now, again!" I slightly yelled. Frustration getting to me.

"Ava please-" Xavier started but was shut down by Nicholas. He held his hand up and said, "Xavier don't, we have talked about this." Nicholas spoke sternly. He continued, "We have to convince, Ava. Convince them that we are married."

"Why? Why can we not let this go and wait it out?" This so-called underworld – where I have been hearing a lot about the last couple of months – is still something that baffles me in every way. I truly could not understand how evil and cruel people could be. Now, being with Nicholas I heard more and more about it, and it only left me with more question marks in my mind. Maybe I should not know everything I detail as I wanted. You know what they say 'ignorance is bliss'.

I shook my head. It was all so contradicting in my head. Confused I waited for an answer from anybody around me.

Nicholas sighed. "I'm going to be honest with you Ava and this information is not for the faint of heart."

"Nicholas, I do not think it is wise to tell her." My brother commented. "I know you are worried, but Ava has the right to hear this as it is concerning her as well. So, as I was saying, people are searching, searching for you. They do not believe we are married and think I have hidden you away somewhere. Some of my men went missing and were found dead... We believe they were captured to be tortured for some information. As it looks, they have not said a word."

I had to sit down after what he told me. Men had died because of me. Men who had lives. They could have wives or children to care for and now because of me, their loved ones had to live without them. I could not fantom any of this.

"I'm sorry Ava, but you ought to know this. At least, I think you would not want me to hide this important information from you." He had crouched down and held my hand for comfort.

"No do not apologize. You are right... How do we convince them?"

• • •

"You look absolutely beautiful Evelyn," I commented when I entered her bedroom to check on her. Xavier had asked me to see if she was ready or not. I was happy to do it, being very curious how she would look like. She had a dark green dress on that fitted her body perfectly. Showing every good aspect of her body, not that she had any bad aspects. The dress complemented her slightly tan skin. She probably got that from her Hispanic father and the blue eyes from her mother. She had the dress combined with long gloves made from the same material as her dress. She looked like a Greek goddess.

"Oh do not say that when you look this stunning!" Evelyn smiled at me. "Please come in, come in. I want to see you in full glory." I stepped further into the room. "Look at you! Nicholas and you will look like a true king and queen tonight."

I blushed at her words. Before she could say anything else that would make me blush even furthermore, I said, "Xavier is waiting for you."

"The handsome lad can wait a minute or two for us women to chat a bit. Now that I think of it I never asked what your opinion is on us having a relationship together. He is your brother after all. I hope you are not offended by me-"

"No! No, not at all. As long as you both are happy and he treats you well, I have no objection at all." It did sting, seeing them together. But I did not know why it stung. When I saw them together, I still felt jealous.

"Well, that's settled then... By the way, I meant to ask you, have you and your brother talked already? I'm sorry if I am meddling with something I should not." Evelyn looked suddenly embarrassed by her own words.

I held up my hands. "No, it is alright. I have, indeed, talked to him and I think we are getting better. We... just... we did not understand each other, that's all." I really had talked to Xavier. These past weeks I felt like I was losing him, and I wanted to do something about it. It was a difficult conversation to start even more difficult to hold. I was scared because I had no idea how he would react.

I remember how he stood, smoking in my garden. Another thing I did not know about him – his smoking habit. With all the courage I had, I made my way to him and telling my concerns about our relationship as a brother and sister. He heard me out, not interrupting me even once. When I was done it remained quiet for a while, both taking in the words that were said. He then said, "I hear you, Ava, I truly am. Nicholas and I have both been talking as well. He... He explained some things from your perspective and well, it showed me things that were once hidden because of my own stupidity."

"Don't say that," I said while giving him a hug. My brother was not stupid, just ignorant on some parts.

"It is Ava. As you said, I started to behave like father even though I knew how toxic and abusive his behaviour was towards you. It comes from a good place according to Nicholas. My protectiveness over you clouds my judgment. Nicholas remarked that I do not value your feelings and I think he is right. You are entitled to have and show your feelings and it is wrong of me to shut them down by talking over you or to speak for you. I am trying to better myself, but it is hard. In only a few months you have grown so much my head cannot keep up with it. So, give something little sis. I will try. I promise."

I smiled at the memory. "I am glad you two sorted it out then. After everything that happened it is important to keep your loved ones around you," Evelyn sweetly said while holding my hands.

"Now, come along. We have a party to get to."

A/N: Thank you for waiting. Once again I do apologize for not updating much, but I am really trying. 

As you can see I have 'fixed' the relationship between Ava and Xavier at the request of one of you. Only I could not find the comment anymore, so if you are reading this and you posted the comment, I hope you like what I did. And also thank you for giving me the idea. 

Thank you for reading and have a nice day/night!