Chapter 32

The four of us sat all freshly showered and energized from last night in the living room together. We all looked anxious as we were all shaken up by the events of last night. The ball we held was supposed to be helpful for us, not harmful. My anger towards Nicholas had vanished from the moment he said he did not plan to get me pregnant. Evelyn, however, was still furious at my husband. She knew the most of my past as we had talked about it together these past weeks. She was only trying to protect me, which I appreciated, but I felt sorry for Nicholas as her eyes could kill somebody.

"So, what's the plan Mr. I-don't-think-things-thoroughly?" Evelyn snapped at Nicholas.

"Evelyn, please," I whispered. I was already too harsh towards him and Nicholas got already scolded last night by my brother's girlfriend.

"It's alright Ava. The plan is the following and we have to act quickly. Victor will send his lawyer by any time now. It will be either tomorrow or the day after that. Between now and then we have to get Ava out of the country, somewhere safe. This way we have nothing documented and there were no witnesses when Victor and I talked. And I thought it might be well to bring Evelyn with her until she is settled somewhere safely." Nicholas explained to us. I did not mind the plan. Not at all. This was far much better than I could ever imagine.

My brother was not so pleased with the plan. "For how long does Evelyn need to stay away. I don't want to be away from her after everything that has happened." His voice sounded concerned. I would too if my lover would be apart from me. Only I found much joy from just the fact I had Evelyn all to myself, even though I did not know why.

Nicholas sighed. "I don't know how long exactly, maybe two to four weeks, until Ava can stand on her own."

It was then I realized I would be alone somewhere I did not know the place of. Honestly, it saddened me, to be alone again and now truly alone. Only I could not whine like a child as this was to save me from a much worse faith.

"Alright then, I think I can settle for that." My brother sighed in relief as he kissed Evelyn's temple.

"Well, then everything is settled. I have been busy all night making arrangements. You girls will leave tonight. You will be brought to the nearby harbor to my dock. The boat will be taking you just a few miles up north and from there you will be brought to a private airport where a jet will be waiting for you to fly to Canada."

I looked at Nicholas and he indeed looked like he was working all night. "Thank you, Nicholas. Once again you safe me from a great ordeal." I said while holding his hand. He tiredly smiled at me. "It's nothing Ava. You deserve your happiness too."

• • •

Everything went smoothly as Evelyn and I was getting ready to leave. At the moment our bags were settled in the car that would lead us to the harbor. I looked at the garden I worked so hard on these past weeks. I hoped Nicholas would find somebody to look after flowers and plants.

Just as I was admiring the yard for one last time I was snapped out of my thoughts by Nicholas. "The car is ready."

I turned around. "Ah yes, good." I walked up to the man in front of me. "Once again Nicholas, thank you for everything, really. Next to Evelyn, you are one of the few people who showed me kindness and that there is some good left in our world."

Nicholas looked at me in my eyes and remained silent for a few seconds or so. He then took my face in his hands and planted a kiss on my forehead. "Don't thank me. I am not as half as good as you are, my dear. Be careful and enjoy your life." He finished with a smile.

Right then Xavier and Evelyn exited the house. I made my way to my brother. "I'll miss, maybe even more than before," I said to him.

"Don't worry little sis. I'll visit you when I can." He hugged me tight, embracing me in his big arms where I always felt safe. I hated the thought of my brother being far away from me, again.

After our goodbyes, Xavier kissed Evelyn and wished her a safe trip. Again I felt thing pang of jealousy. It was then when I finally realized why I felt the way I felt. But it was not the time to feel like this, so I pushed these new feelings away.

"Goodbye girls." My brother said when we entered the car. We both waved in response. The engine came to life and we went. The mansion became smaller and smaller behind us. Soon we would be arriving at the dock and that was when I finally realized that I was now finally free from the mafia world.

Meanwhile at Nicholas' mansion...

Both men sat comfortably in the library knowing the girls would be safe, fancying themselves with a glass of whiskey. Just as they enjoyed the silence and peace around them the doorbell rang. Xavier and Nicholas both looked at each other confused. Who on earth would come unannounced in the middle of the night.

It was Nicholas who went to check to see who was waiting at the door. Most of the guards were either with Evelyn and Ava or were making rounds. Nicholas was surprised these people got past his security though. When he opened the front door he looked surprised. An unfamiliar young man stood in front of him, accompanied by two guards. "What can I do for you gentlemen?"

"Ah, Mr. Ramirez you lucky we are you are still up. My name is Mr. Clarkson, Victor's lawyer. I am here for the settlement between you, Mrs. Ramirez, and my boss. May I come in." The young man introduced himself.

Nicholas straighten his back and answered the lawyer. "I'm afraid I cannot let you in Mr. Clarkson."
"And why is that? I hope there is not any trouble." His concern looked faked. He sounded rather condescending, thought Nicholas. "I'm afraid so. One of the parties is not present and I don't know when she will."

"I thought you might say that," the lawyer made a gesture to one of the men behind him. "But I think this will help." Mr. Clarkson handed Nicholas a cell phone. He put the device against his ear and waited for the person on the other line to say something.

"Nicholas? Is that you?" He heard a voice he wished he would not have to hear. "I think I have something that belongs to you. A woman named Evelyn and, I think this one is the important one, a woman named Ava. Shall I bring them back to you?" Nicholas was furious and shocked all at once as the man who spoke was none other than Victor. 

Thanks for reading and have a nice day/night!