Chapter Nine

Walking up the stairs of the Hale house, her eyes trailed past every piece of debris which had been caused by the previous night. It was so quiet and peaceful in comparison and yet the lingering chaos echoed through her mind. Dragging her fingertips on the banister, her eyes fell upon the blood stains on the wooden flooring. That was a new addition.

"This is a crime scene you know," the familiar voice sounded out.

"And yet I knew I'd find you here," she countered as she turned around to look at Derek. There was no sign of a wound on him, and there was a new pride which sat on his shoulders that she was sure wasn't going to benefit his ego. The ego would increase and undoubtedly so would his arrogance. "You look... not dead."

"You look tired."

Everything felt dead though.

Opening her mouth to say something, she ended up shutting it immediately as she tried to work out her next words. "I need to know what you want." He frowned not understanding and she tried to elaborate but found herself unable to do so, "about-about it. About the... erm... about the baby," she panicked bringing her hand up to fiddle with her earring, but before she could even grace her fingertips on the pearl he reached out grabbing onto her wrist.

"I thought you were getting rid of it."

Tears began to sting at her eyes as she thought about it. "I-I don't know what I'm going to do. I just... I need to know what you think. I can't make that kind of decision. I don't know."

"You were afraid for it. You said you weren't, but you were." He realised and she rolled her eyes pulling herself away. Turning to look at the opposite wall, she raked her hands through the hair at her scalp as she tried to think of it all. He narrowed his eyes as he waited for what words were going to leave her mouth next.

"I don't know!" She snapped, "I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, and I just don't know!" She growled and he reached out, spinning her around and wrapping his arms around her. The first thing she noticed was how hot his body was, like touching a radiator before it burns you. It was far more calming than she expected to be. "What is this?"

"Peace, quiet... just calm," he muttered as he tightened his grip and she slowly brought her own hands to wrap around his body in turn.

"Is being unnaturally warm a werewolf thing?" She asked and he cracked a smile as her head fell forward.

Despite the peace, their minds instantly reeled back to the night before and the war zone which had been created. The arrow whizzed through the air embedding itself in Derek's leg and he roared out in pain as he fell to the floor, "Scott, your eyes!" He shouted.

Both Hayley and Scott dropped to the floor as well as more arrows went through the sky and flashes of light exploded around. Derek reached out throwing his own body over Hayley's and when the light's died down he tried to urge them all up to run, "get up! Let's go!"

Just as Hayley and Scott made it to their feet another arrow shot out and hit Derek in the chest, "oh my god," Hayley screamed out.

"Hayley, Scott, Go!" He shouted and she looked to Scott to move, but his eyes were trapped by the huntress. It was Allison.

"Allison, I can explain," Scott said stepping forward and Hayley's head fell.

"Seriously? You chose to love a teenage murderer?" Hayley snapped to Scott, but the pair ignored her. Turning back to look at Derek, she crouched down, "what do I do? Do I pull the arrows out?" She asked and he glanced at her trying to push her away with the little strength that he had.