< XI >

Cataleya Valentina Velez:

'Neveah, please open the door!' I bang on the big door again, but she doesn't respond. Leon, who just entered the house after ten minutes of lingering outside, walks towards me and sighs deeply.

'Is she in there?' I turn back to the door, totally ignoring him since he's probably the one who caused this. 'Neveah, please!?'

Leonardo shifts behind me but doesn't come any closer at all.

'What happened anyway?' I ask him since Neveah doesn't want to open the door and tell me herself. 'I honestly don't know.' He stammers softly.

I hear the lock on the door open and get pulled into the room. Within seconds the door is closed and locked behind me.

As I turn towards Neveah, I notice the tears streaming down her cheeks and the discomfort in her eyes.

'What happened?' I ask before wrapping her in my arms. Her shoulders tremble as she tries to form a sentence to explain what the fuck is going on, and I rub her back. 'Take it easy...'

We slowly make our way to the bed and sit down, her head still resting on my shoulder as we do. 'Breath Neveah.' I remind her. She's totally freaking out, making me worry about what happened.

I want to know what happened, but she needs to calm down first.

She moves her head from my shoulder to my thighs and screams at them as if I'm a pillow. All I can do is rub her back and tell her that she needs to calm down. She's a real crier, she cries about almost everything, but this time it's different. This time it seems to really hurt.

Neveah takes a shaky, deep breath and slowly turns around, facing the door. 'Are you ready to talk?' She nods, making me smile because she looks like a little kid.

'What happened?' The room goes quiet for a while, as she takes a few deep breaths and sighs deeply.

'I'm the reason his mom died.' She whispers so softly that it's barely audible, even in the totally silent room. 'What?'

She nods and breaks down in tears again. I don't understand what she means, and if I want her to elaborate, she needs to calm down. I try hushing her again by gently rubbing her back and squeezing her hand.

'What do you mean Veah?' She sits up straight and looks at me with tears in her eyes.

'He went looking for me and-' She mumbles, before she gets up and starts pacing around the room, 'People killed his mom.' What?

'But what-' 'He wasn't there to save her, because he was looking for me!' She thunders at me.

She breaks down again, running back to the bed and crying into the soft pillows. 'Oh Veah, it's not your fault!'

'How is it not my fault?' She asks, her voice trembling a little. 'You didn't know this would happen. You can't blame yourself for any of it.' I state, giving her a reassuring smile.

None of what happened is her fault. She didn't know any of this would happen, so how can she blame herself?

'I don't know..' She mumbles before wiping the tears from her cheeks. Someone knocks on the door, and I bet that it's Leon.

'Neveah?' Of course it's him. She looks at me with wide eyes and shakes her head.

The last thing I want is for her to freak out even more. I don't know what he told her exactly, but it seemed to have hurt her more than anything else, making me dislike him a little more than I already did.