Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Since then, whenever Comrade Liu Zhu, the Captain of Team 3, saw Shang Si and Zhang Zhiyin these two disgusting people, he would find them unpleasing to his eyes, believing that they had colluded with each other and framed him, this toiling masses.

He could not say that he was unable to get the wood stone to the person above him. It would show he seemingly have no ability and could not do anything well. So he reasoned that the information was insufficient and that he could not find the whereabouts of the wood stone for a while. Then somehow that man suddenly lost his sense of the wood stone, he didn’t blame him or say that he must get it. He only told him to keep paying attention, this matter was then left unsettled. As if the man had always been generous in his way of doing things.

Look at others, look at yourself. Liu Zhu looked askance at Shang Si and slandered inwardly.

Every time Shang Si took charge of a task, he would give the best task to the second team on the pretext of public welfare, and he would follow in person to take a look. He would also give part of his welfare to the second team, and followed the second team when they went out to eat. At first he still bothered to do some cover-up, but afterward, he simply didn’t care and didn’t hide.

This was really…! There wasn’t anything more for him to say, even if he did, it would be endless.

Fortunately, with the exception of the wood stone matters, Shang Si handled all other things fairly, at least better than Supervisor Mi. He was also lazy to be a bother about it, he just waited for his shift to be over so that he can leave the front line and return back to the base.

On that day, they received another task, which was to clean up a factory, and it required all the three teams under Shang Si to act together.

The factory workshop was full of cold and heavy metal machines. They stood there silently, as if dead, as if alive, watching them one by one. No one could guess what kind of monster was hidden behind the machines.

It was often required for those fighting on the front line to enter into the deepest part of those long-abandoned cities. In the depths of human civilization long occupied by the dead, they found something more difficult to deal with than a zombie, it was called a mutant. Although the zombies were ugly, they still retained a human form, but no definite shapes could be identified in a mutant at all; they often just had several limbs or none at all. They sometimes had more than one head or just had no head. Their facial features were messy and unclear. Their existence was the same as that of a nightmare.

There were many grotesquely shaped monsters in all kinds of online games. In the game, mutants were just some kind of monster which were difficult to beat amidst the zombie’s horde. Although they were ugly, players could just zoom out their camera and they wouldn’t be able to see them. They were all small lumps, just as big as they(the lump) were. It wasn’t until Zhang Zhiyin saw the mutant in the world that he realized how inhuman the existence of this kind of thing was, and even zombies looked much more friendly to him.

Zhang Zhiyin once witnessed the birth of a mutant. Five or six zombies, for some unknown reason, tore and swallowed each other, and the last surviving one ate the other, twitching and growing like an insect and turning into a terrible mutant— it was totally against the normal evolutionary mechanism of the zombies, but like the legendary Gu, they fought each other, and what survived became a more bothersome existence.