Chapter One

Copyright: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED by Kayla Cacopardo 2021

Chapter One

AVERY

Avery Williams; that's my name. I'm seventeen, but my future really began on my eighteenth birthday when I met my mate. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, well, I'm a werewolf. I'm a human but can shift into a wolf. I was born that way. It's pretty cool; the strength my wolf provides me being the best part. As for my appearance I'm the complete opposite of a Barbie doll, given my straight black hair that goes to my waist and grey eyes with an average figure. As for pack life; a pack being a community of werewolves, I'll explain how it works.

The Golden Pack has around five hundred members in it. Trent Denver is the alpha of the pack. An alpha is the one in charge, the leader of the pack. The Luna is the female leader. Under them sits the beta and delta/gamma. Trent just recently got given the alpha title by his father when he turned eighteen. Trent Denver goes to my school and we're in the same grade. I don't associate with him. I don't think we've ever even had a one on one conversation. But his reputation perceives him as an egotistical rude jerk. He is known for being a player. As an alpha, all the girls flock to him. I don't think he will ever change his ways even when he meets his mate. Poor girl, whoever that is.

So, a mate. A mate is your soulmate; someone who is tied to you and meant for you in every way. When you come of age which is eighteen, you look into your mates eyes and recognise them as yours. To complete the mating process, the male will first bite the female's neck to claim her as his and then they'll mate which is sex. Anyway, that's all you really need to know, now let's get to the story.

-

It's a Friday so that means school. I get up out of my bed and head to the bathroom, doing my usual routine of brushing my teeth and then brushing and straightening my hair. Even though I have straight hair I run a hair straightener through it most days to make sure it stays straight. Yeah, I'm a bit of a bitch about my hair. If it curls at the end, it disturbs me to no end. It's a complete bitch when it goes wavy in humid weather.

I put on a light layer of foundation preferring the more natural look; just to cover up any blemishes and make me feel confident enough to be at school. I add some mascara to give my eyes a boost and some lip-gloss then I'm done. After I get changed, I go downstairs where my parents are sitting at the dining table having a cup of coffee. I go over and sit down, grabbing a piece of fruit out of the fruit bowl and taking a bite.

"Good morning honey", Dad says but doesn't lift his eyes from the newspaper he's reading.

"Good morning". I continue to eat my fruit. We sit in a comfortable silence having our breakfast. When I finish eating, I get up and make my way out of the kitchen.

"Have a good day", Mum calls out. Yeah right. Whoever has a good day at school? Please, I'd love someone to say they do. The only perk of school is seeing friends.

I walk out the front door and close it behind, heading over to my small car and hopping in. I put my seatbelt on and then make my way to school. Parking my car, I grab my stuff and head inside. I put the books I don't need in my locker then notice my three best friends walk over to me. Sadie, Justin and Cody. Sadie has been my best friend since we were little kids. We became friends with Justin and Cody when we started high school. We've been inseparable ever since. As for Sadie's looks, she's the complete opposite of me. She has long blonde wavy hair with chocolate brown eyes and has the perfect figure. Sadie has a passive personality; she's sweet and a loyal friend.

Justin has dark blonde, nearly brown hair with dark brown eyes, a sharp jawline and strong features. Definitely a sex magnet. It's true. I've seen the way girls just melt for Justin. I'm surprised his ego hasn't swallowed him up and left a cold-hearted jerk in it's place. But Justin is a good guy. I guess that's his responsible beta side that keeps him sincere, despite the fact that he is one of the biggest players at this school. He's a cheeky shit at times but everyone loves him.

However, Cody is kind and soft spoken. It's strange how such a nice guy is friends with a player. Cody has brown hair with dazzling blue eyes, pouty lips that would drive a lot of girls crazy and soft features.

Justin wraps his arm around my shoulder and Cody leans against the lockers.

"Hey, what's up?" Sadie asks as she tries to open her locker which is right next to mine but Cody is leaning on it. "Move".

"Say please". Cody stays where he is.

"Please", Sadie says and Cody moves.

He gives her a charming smile and she blushes. I bet these two are totally mates. Nothing has ever happened between them but I notice the way they act around each other. Someone would have to be blind if they couldn't see the connection between them. I remember Sadie asked me a question. She asked me what's up.

"Not a lot, just a week full of homework". I lean into Justin's side.

"Oh, that reminds me, did you do your math's homework?" she asks, pulling her math's book out of her locker.

"Yes, why? Did you forget again?" I laugh. She always forgets to do her homework. Good thing we're in the same class.

"Yes, can I copy yours?" She bats her eyelashes trying to make me say yes.

"Here". I hand her my math's book. I don't care if she copies it. I don't even know if half the answers are right. At least I did it. She opens my book and leans in her locker. She pulls a pen out and starts copying my homework.

"So Avery, you coming to my party tonight?" Justin asks, pulling out his phone.

Justin is popular and has numerous parties a year. He's known as the party thrower. He has the best house to throw parties at. It's spacious so there's always a lot of room to dance. There's a pool outside with a heated spa next to it. His house is beautiful. His parents don't mind him throwing parties as long as he cleans up the mess afterwards which he always does. He's sensible enough to do that.

"Yes, I'm coming to the party. You know I've never missed one".

The bell rings and everyone starts walking to class. Justin puts his phone away and Sadie quickly puts her book away and gives mine back to me.

"Let's go to class", Cody says. He is such a good boy. He doesn't like being late to class. Justin and Cody walk one way and Sadie and I head the other way. Our first class is math's. As we're walking, we talk on the way.

"Did you finish copying it down?" I ask her, wondering if she completed the homework.

"Most of it". She grins and I laugh.

"Hopefully you won't get another detention. Again", I tease as we walk into math's class.

"Shut up", she says as we take our seats which are right next to each other.

***

Comment.
Vote.