chapter 00.

nostalgia, prologue

nostalgia, prologue.
two wishes

On your seventeenth birthday, you're supposed to make a wish

On your seventeenth birthday, you're supposed to make a wish. Not something tacky like asking for a prosperous life or good health. Most people ask for something unsurprisingly specific.

It's common knowledge that you meet your soulmate at seventeen- if you even have one in the first place. Because not everyone does.

One in ten thousand. That's how many people have someone predetermined for them. It's even rarer for them to actually find each other. One could be halfway across the world and they'd never know. That's why the majority ask for them to meet as a birthday wish.

You never know when it'll come true, but it's always within the year. If you don't meet them before then, well, don't count on ever meeting them at all. Chances are you're waiting for someone who doesn't exist.

Little is known about how soulmates really work, but the fair few who've experienced it described it enough for everyone else to get a good idea.

It's said to trigger some sixth sense, and the pair starts to play off of each other's emotions. If one's sad, it'll have an influence over how the other is feeling.

There's also this unconditional adoration that you'd still be fond of them regardless of anything, really. One could probably be fatally injured at the other's hands, and they'd still like them all the same. It's one of the scarier aspects.

But the real wonder is in meeting for the first time. No one's been able to describe that, apart from two vague words.

"You'll know."