chapter 09.

nostalgia, nine

nostalgia, nine.
simple human decency

Yang Jungwon left the shopping centre for home shortly after, off to give the bouquet of roses to his mother as a gift from him and his dad

But on the way back, he wasn't as upbeat as he was on the way to. It was the scene he'd witnessed earlier that disheartened his spirits.

He realized he'd forgotten his phone on one of the shelves while picking out flowers, and so he hurried back to the shop to go grab it. At the counter, he spotted Yebin talking to someone with a smile, before she was handed a bouquet of flowers.

The memory wound up with him kicking the rocks on the ground along with him during his walk home. He was frustrated, but what did he expect? You push a person away enough, you have nothing else to do with them.

He couldn't help but wonder if he'd been a little too drastic with his avoidance. She seemed to have made genuine efforts to approach him, efforts he'd completely disregarded. Then, he remembered why he was doing all this. He couldn't let himself get close to her, not with what he knew was going to happen eventually.

Nevertheless, he pushed his frustration aside as he pushed open the front door. Right by the entrance of his house, he found his dad waiting for him. The man gave him a thumbs up at the sight of the roses, and silently counted down to three.

Jungwon heard his mother's footsteps growing louder, and as soon as she came into the room, they shouted. "Happy Valentines Day!"

The woman jumped in surprise, hands flying to cover her mouth as her son and husband stood there with wide smiles and gifts in hand. She felt happy tears well up in her eyes.

"Mom, don't cry." Jungwon laughed as his mother pulled him into her embrace.

She shook her head. "How can I not, when I have the sweetest son in the world?"