chapter 53.

nostalgia, fifty-three

in love and away

Spring break had come once again, and it couldn't come sooner for the students who had been waiting for a break from the hardships of school

Spring break had come once again, and it couldn't come sooner for the students who had been waiting for a break from the hardships of school. Some more than others.

The high-schoolers had planned another party, one that Yebin and her friends decided to ditch for a long-anticipated camping trip at the Haean beach. Besides, they were having a their own party at the moment, jamming rather loudly to Twice's Alcohol-Free in the back of Xiaohui's car.

This wasn't a rare occurrence, but the two girls in the front seats had a guest this time. Watanabe Haruto was sitting in the second row, enthusiastically doing the choreography whenever the chorus came on.

"I like this guy," Xiaohui told Yebin. "Let's keep him."

"What?" Haruto blinked.

"None of your business, kid." Xiaohui casually stepped out of the car.

Yebin followed suit, jumping down and opening Haruto's door with a small smile. "You'll get used to her."

She gave him her free hand and he used it to pull himself up, accidentally making her stumble forward like a paper doll. Haruto caught her by her jacket collar, not wanting to catch her arm because of the cast.

Yebin laughed sheepishly. "I forgot you're like a foot taller than me."

The three opened the back of the car, hauling their tents and sleeping bags with them as they made their way down to the beach. Not long after stepping foot on the sand however, Yebin found herself being knocked off her feet once more.

"Agh, where did she- oh." Jake Sim smiled as he found his beloved border collie tackling her next victim. He quickly approached them. "Okay, you're definitely one of Layla's favorites."

Yebin giggled as she continued to pet the dog. "Just from a first impression? Aw, she's adorable."

Jake furrowed his eyebrows but laughed anyway.

Meanwhile, the remaining six boys were still busy unloading Heeseung's car. Nishimura Riki watched the scene with a cheeky expression. "Hyung, someone's kissing your girlfriend."

"Stop," Jungwon deadpanned. After a few seconds, he looked up from his bag, stealing a discreet glance at the beach only to see the border collie licking Yebin's cheek.

"Ha! You still looked!" Niki pointed a finger at him, laughing hysterically when Jungwon sent him a glare.

When they finally closed the car to meet the others, Yebin looked over at the parking lot they were coming from, smiling when she found a familiar face.

She cupped her mouth with her hands, shouting over. "Hey, pretty boy!"

Jungwon rolled his eyes, the corners of lips twitching up as he jogged towards her. Dropping everything he was carrying, he wrapped his arms around her waist and lifted her off the sand. Yebin threw her non-injured arm around his neck, closing her eyes with a laugh as he spun her around and leaned in to kiss her.

"Avert your eyes!" Sunoo exclaimed.

Jay shook his head, picking up the things Jungwon had dropped like a disappointed mother. "Didn't they see each other yesterday?"

"It's called being in love," Heeseung said. "You wouldn't understand."

"And you would?"

"Shut up."

Eventually, they chose a nice spot under the shade of some trees, still outlooking the nearby ocean. They began setting up their tents, a task that was proving more difficult than they thought.

"Ah, you tourists." Yebin sighed jokingly, earning herself a shove from Jungwon.

He huffed. "Not our fault we don't have a beach to camp at near Sanheoli."

"Excuses, excuses."

Yebin gasped when Jungwon pushed one of her tent's poles down, before shrugging innocently.

"Oops, guess you have to start all over again," he mused.

"Jungwon!"

To their far left, Jake and Sunghoon were setting up their own tents, but the latter's focus was elsewhere.

"Look, she's hitting on him!"

Jake tilted his head at Sunghoon's words, following his line of sight to see Xiaohui and Haruto several feet away.

"I'm pretty sure she's just... hitting him."

They both watched as Xiaohui's tent flattened to the ground at Haruto's hands, and the girl let out a shriek before trying to whack the boy with one of the plastic poles. He narrowly dodged it.

Sunghoon remained unfazed. "Is that Haruto guy trying to steal everyone?"

Jake snickered. "Why would you care anyway?"

"Because coach says we're not allowed to date!"

"Uh huh." Jake shook his head at Sunghoon's defensiveness, before catching sight of the soccer ball in his bag. He perked up, taking it and running off towards another tent.

"Yebin-ah! Wanna play?"

"Sure!" the girl chimed, stifling a laugh as she glanced at her boyfriend and his incredibly deformed tent. "We could use a break anyway."

Jungwon stood up and threw his arms around her in a headlock, making her fake a dying expression. He laughed and ruffled her hair before they joined the others who'd gathered near the shoreline.

a/n. sorry if this is was short, it was originally too long so i had to split it into two💔 that means double update though so scroll to keep reading y'all😋

 sorry if this is was short, it was originally too long so i had to split it into two💔 that means double update though so scroll to keep reading y'all😋