chapter 08.

nostalgia, eight

nostalgia, eight.
ol' saint valentine

"Kiyoung? What are you-" she stopped herself mid-sentence, not wanting to seem unprofessional

"Kiyoung? What are you-" she stopped herself mid-sentence, not wanting to seem unprofessional. Looking over her shoulder, she contemplated rushing back to her place at the counter, but anything was better than having to talk to Jungwon. Instead, she turned back to the boy in front of her. "How can I help you?"

He smiled slightly. "I need help choosing flowers for a bouquet. It's for a Valentine's gift."

"That's sweet of you," Yebin simply replied, avoiding eye-contact. From a peripheral view, she could see his stare trained on her. "So, do you have anything in mind?"

He shrugged. "Everyone seems to be buying roses, so I'll take ten."

Yebin reached for the roses in the vase, holding them together as she prepared to form the bouquet he wanted.

"Flowers have meanings, right?" Kiyoung asked, earning a nod from her. He then pointed to a bundle of Carnations on the shelf. "What do these mean?"

"Those? Oh, the yellow ones signify um- disdain." Yebin watched as he drew his hand back from the flowers. She cleared her throat awkwardly. "The pink ones mean 'I will never forget about you'."

"I'll take three of those." Kiyoung said quickly. "What else do you suggest?"

Yebin looked around at the different flowers, reciting what she knew from memory. "Well, sunflowers symbolize false riches, and uh- the amaryllises symbolize pride."

"Really?" Kiyoung laughed nervously. "What about those white ones?"

Yebin nearly winced at his poor choice of subject-change. "Those are snapdragons. They stand for deception."

Kiyoung tried again. "And the daffodils?"

"New beginnings," Yebin replied.

"I'll take them."

Yebin did as told, before looking down at the bouquet of flowers in her hands. It had come together quite nicely. "Anything else?"

Kiyoung looked back at her. "Are there any flowers that mean 'sorry'?"