chapter 22.

nostalgia, twenty-two

she wasn't dreaming

Telling her mom that she had to quit a project because of her own incompetence didn't go well, as Yebin had already expected

Telling her mom that she had to quit a project because of her own incompetence didn't go well, as Yebin had already expected. The conversation wound up with her on the receiving end of her mother's angry shouts, and she got grounded anyway.

     Yebin stared blankly at her computer screen, as she'd decided to just start one of her essays early, but her brain wasn't working. Her mother's words replayed in her head. She'd just finished telling the woman about how she was laughed at, and ended up getting scolded for being so stupid in the first place.

     She ran her hands through her hair, blinking back the tears that threatened to fall. It would be stupid of her to cry too.

     "Yebin?"

     "Yeah?" she replied, hearing her grandmother's voice from outside her door.

     "The doorbell rang. Are you expecting anyone?"

     "No, I'm not." Yebin thought it over as her grandmother went down the stairs to get the door. It couldn't be her dad, as he'd just left for work. Her mom was home on a day-off, and Yeori hadn't left the house either.

     Yebin walked to the window, surprised to see another bike on their yard. And there, right by her front door, stood Yang Jungwon with his hands shoved in his pockets. She rubbed her eyes in disbelief, but she wasn't dreaming.

     Her mouth hung open in realization, and she rushed out of her room at lightning speed. "Halmeoni, wait!"

     Thankfully, she'd gotten to the elderly woman just before she was about to open the door. That would have been catastrophic.

     Yebin placed her hand on the doorknob, looking back at her grandmother. "It's just a friend."

     "I want to see your friend."

     Yebin sighed in defeat, and opened the door. Jungwon froze, and she mustered up a smile. "Jungwon! What are you doing here?"

     "I- uh," Jungwon noticed her grandmother's stare. "I just wanted to return your baseball cap. You left it at the library."