chapter 48.

nostalgia, forty-eight

not-so-rough days

Everyone says it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all

Everyone says it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. But it didn't feel that way to him.

Everyone assured him that they weren't going to lose each other. Yebin was going to wake up eventually, and when she did, he'd be there. She could never lose him, but he was going to lose her the moment she woke up and asked who he was.

Everyone was waiting on some miracle. The doctors told him post-traumatic amnesia was never guaranteed. But his miracle was right in front of him, lying unconscious on a hospital bed.

"Geez, he visits more than I do."

Yang Jungwon tiredly opened his eyes at the voice, lifting his head from the textbook he'd fallen asleep on. Han Yeori stood by the door, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you up."

"No, it's fine. I have to study anyway," he said as she made her way inside the room, pulling a chair next to Yebin's bed like he did.

Yeori watched as Jungwon went back to filling out the pages of his textbook, holding his pen in one hand while the other held onto Yebin's. She often found him like this.

"You really miss her, don't you?"

Jungwon laughed drily. "Is it that obvious?"

Seven days. It had been seven days since the accident, and Jungwon swore if Yebin didn't open her eyes anytime soon, he was seriously going to open them for her.

The school had given him the first few days off, but the academics were picking up and he had to will his mind to focus on things that didn't revolve around her, something that grew to be very difficult lately. His whole world had grown difficult lately.

Yeori smiled sadly. "How long do you usually stay here?"

"Until the nurses tell me to get lost."