chapter 42.

nostalgia, forty-two

a living nightmare

Han Yebin biked home with a different smile that night

Han Yebin biked home with a different smile that night. She couldn't shake the giddy feeling she'd get whenever she reminded herself of a certain. Their friends knew about them now, and soon, so would her family. All this sneaking in and out of her house while they were sleeping would be worth it.

     But as she pedaled into the driveway, she noticed that the kitchen lights were still on. It was probably her mother. Yebin had planned on making a whole speech for her explaining why dating wasn't a bad idea, but now that she thought about it, maybe it'd be best to just tell her directly. Maybe it'd be best to just tell her now. They'd been on good terms lately after all.

     Shrugging her coat off as she entered the house, Yebin walked into the kitchen with a skip in her step. "Hey mom, what are you-"

     "Is this you?" her mother asked, looking down at her phone screen as if she'd seen a ghost.

     Yebin furrowed her eyebrows, until her mother flipped the phone around to reveal a candid picture of her and Jungwon, his arms around her as they laughed— taken just that same evening.

     Her heart dropped to her stomach. "Where did you get that?"

     "An anonymous number, who I now trust more than my own daughter."

     "Mom, I can explain-"

     "What did we agree on? You think your boyfriend will help with your embarrassing grades?" her mother raised her voice. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

     "M-mom, I-" Yebin stuttered. "I was going to tell you."

     "When? When you get pregnant and destroy your life like one of those sluts?" the woman spat. "When I was your age-"

     "Well, I'm not you, okay?" Yebin closed her eyes in frustration, having had enough of hearing that phrase. "I'm not Yeori, and I'm not one of your friends' kids! I'm just me and if that's not enough-"