ii| protector

pro·tec·tor

/prəˈtektər/

noun

1. a person or thing that protects someone or something.

"For the briefest moment, she could pretend that she didn't have to protect herself: she had a protector."

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

Wisteria was exhausted in the best way possible.

Sweat dripped down her brow, forcing her to wipe it off with the back of her keeper gloves. This was her element. If there was one irrefutable fact she could always stake her life on, it was that she was at her best when she was on a broomstick. Just give her the same Comet broom she'd been riding for years and something to protect, and Wisteria Rose Cresskle would be perfectly content.

That protective nature was perhaps the very reason she was a Gryffindor to begin with. A memory flashed through her mind as she waited for the next teammate to settle into place.

"Cresskle, Wisteria!"

Professor McGonagall was a very assertive woman, something Wisteria couldn't help but admire as she made her way to the little wooden stool. Sitting down, the hat was placed on her head, covering her eyes so that she couldn't see a peek of the outside world. Hopefully they in turn couldn't see her shaking.

'Hmm.' A voice whispered in her mind, cutting into her brain as if were made of butter. 'I didn't expect this.'

'Expect what?' She thought, unsure of how to converse with the enchanted accessory that was combing through all of her thoughts. 'Is something wrong?'

The hat seemed to chortle. 'Nothing at all. I just need to know where to sort you.'

'Do I have a say?'

Her mind could almost picture the hat shrugging. 'Let's say you do. Where do you want to go?'

The young girl bit the inside of her cheek. 'I'm not sure. Mum was a Hufflepuff-'

'-and your sister is a Ravenclaw. But what about you?'

She thought of the different houses for a moment. Only two people she knew had already been sorted at this point: Sirius Black and Nevaeh Albright. She could imagine being happy in Ravenclaw, but then she would have to deal with her sister. Slytherin was where Severus was hoping to go, but he didn't seem to like her so much as he tolerated her because of Lily.

Lily.

Lily was so sweet, and she genuinely wanted to be friends with Wisti. What if she went into Gryffindor and Sirius tried to bully her like he had Severus? How could Wisteria protect her new friend if she wasn't in the there to control the fire?