ix| taller

tall·er
/tôlər/

comparative adjective

1. of great or more than average height, especially (with reference to an object) relative to width.

"Being taller is more funner."

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

Wisti normally slept well after a few glasses of wine. However, as midnight hit on October the sixteenth of 1976, the young Gryffindor sat up in her four-poster bed with heaving breaths.

Nightmares, previously holding her captive, began to slither off of her consciousness like snakes back into their holes, leaving nothing behind but their ominous presence. So horrible a feeling did they leave her with that Wisteria nearly expected something menacing to be bearing down on her as she opened her eyes, but was pleasantly mistaken.

Nothing moved in the room.

In fact, everything was just as it had been when she'd come back from Slughorn's party. The other girls were sleeping soundly in their beds: Marlene snoring softly as usual, Lily rivalling her with much louder ones that threatened to shake the tower. Dorcas and Mary had pushed their beds together for the second time that week and gone to sleep curled up together before Lily and Wisteria had even returned. That had been happening since last year when Dorcas lost her parents to the rising dark Wizards. She and Mary had always been closer to each other than the rest of the group, and sometimes the nightmares were too much to bear alone. Wisteria couldn't blame her. She, too, was not immune to their icy hold.

The redhead rolled over, trying to get comfortable despite the feeling of dread still hanging off of her. Every time she closed her eyes, she could feel the ever present darkness creeping into her once more. What had the nightmare even been about? For some reason she thought Sage may have been in it, but it also could have just as easily been someone else. But what if it was a hint? Perhaps her mind knew something to help find her sister? Wisti wracked her brain for a moment before shaking her head. That didn't seem to be the case. Besides, it was only natural she would be thinking of her older sister on their birthday.

Resigning herself to the fact that she wouldn't be getting much sleep that night, Wisteria swung her legs off of the bed and yanked her robe from its post. Her head still felt foggy from the large amount of wine she'd inhaled the night before, but she managed to pull her slippers from beneath the bed and pad downstairs with a book in hand nonetheless.

Normally Wisteria would call herself observant, but apparently even an Irish woman has her drinking limit and she was not the quickest at the moment. Had she been sober, she would have heard the voices in the common room and politely turned back up the stairs without disturbing the other Gryffindors. As it was, Wisteria Rose was not sober and did neither of those things.