xiv| palpitate

pal·pi·tate
/ˈpalpəˌtāt/

verb
1. (of the heart) beat rapidly, strongly, or irregularly.

"...surely that was the only explanation for it to palpitate in such a way."

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

"Four months!"

Wisteria blinked, more than a bit startled to hear such a loud exclamation on the otherwise quiet Saturday morning. After explaining to her friends the situation she'd gotten them into, and getting ready for a longer amount of time than she usually needed, the readheaded girl was nervous as she went to collect James Potter and Company. To find him angrily shouting at his friends was not at all what she'd expected. However, it did well to replace her anxiety with a bit of curiosity.

Wisteria continued down the stairs and over to where Peter was sitting in an armchair nearest the fire. He was close but still apart from the group and snickering into his hand. James and the others hadn't noticed her arrival, but Peter did and he sent her a gleeful smile in welcome.

"What's he on about?" She asked her friend, eyes narrowed at James' back. He was dressed in a grey knit sweater, not unlike the green and cream one she wore. His jeans were high waisted, and she could tell he was holding something, but wasn't at an angle to decipher what exactly it was.

"Not to worry," Peter giggled, eyes trained on the drama before him.

"It's not that big of a deal, mate—" Sirius started, but James cut him off.

"Not a big deal?" He thrust the object under Sirius' nose and Wisteria could tell that it was some type of potted plant. "You stood by and watched me water a fake plant for four bloody months!"

At this, James' friends burst into laughter. Remus hit his knee and Sirius rolled back his head to allow more room to bellow his guffaws. Peter continued to giggle. She couldn't help but join in, a smile catching her thin lips as she watched James pout. The boy took a decorative pillow from where it had fallen to the floor and quickly hit Sirius in the arm with it. "Stop! It's not funny!"

"Come on, James! You're amazing at Herbology! You had to have known!" Remus offered, trying to calm himself down for the sake of his friend. He didn't do a great job, considering how broad his lingering smile was.

"No way!" Sirius shook his head, wiping a tear. "He would sing to it when he thought we weren't around. Got worried it wasn't growing enough." This new information set off a whole new wave of laughter and James launched into another pillow attack against his best friend.

Perhaps she took pity on them, or maybe she was just ready to get things over with. Either way, she forced herself to shake off the smile that had snuck onto her face and instead cleared her throat.