xii| adaptability

a·dapt·a·bil·i·ty
/əˌdaptəˈbilədē/

noun

1. the quality of being able to adjust to new conditions.

"You're just not good at the adaptability."

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

The upcoming Hogsmeade trip seemed to be all anyone could talk about. It would be the last one before the holidays, so there was scarcely a thought to be found that didn't focus on the excursion.

Save for Wisteria, of course, who had much more pressing issues.

"I'm going to die! Prepare your eulogy, Mars. This is the end of me."

Marlene rolled her eyes at the dramatic redhead sprawled across her textbooks in the library. "For Merlin's sake, Wisti, it's just one herbology exam." There was plenty of whispering and frantic studying taking place all around them, so no one took much notice of a defeated Cresskle.

Wisteria merely groaned into the pages. "Common synonyms to 'exam' include test, review, inspection, and—my most recent addition—harbinger of death."

"Hey," Mary Macdonald greeted half heartedly to the pair as she took a seat with them. The girl seemed distracted as she took out her books.

"What's with her?" Dorcas asked, noticing Wisteria as she too came to join their study group.

Marlene shrugged. "Cracking up over her inability to ace something because she can't simply learn it in a book?" The girls snickered.

"Excuse you!" Wisti shot up and pointed at her blonde friend. "I'm perfectly fine with theory and practicals, I just can't manage to understand anything living!" It was true. Care of Magical Creatures and Herbology were the only classes she couldn't seem to understand.

"That's certainly true," Dorcas joked, "because if you did, you would have recognized that handsome man over there eyeing you like the last ticket to the World Cup." She gave a low growl. "Yummy."

Furrowing her eyebrows and pushing her hair out of her face, she turned to see Samir Levesque smirking at her. "No," she said as she faced her friends once more. "Samir only sees something he can't have. You know, since I'm so 'hopelessly in love with Potter'." Wisti dropped her head back onto her books with a groan.

Dorcas continued to watch the boy, ideas swirling in her head. "Well, why don't you give him what he wants?"

"Excuse me?"

She shrugged. "James did that once, right? Asked out another girl in front of Lily to make her jealous?"

Marlene cackled, throwing her head back and smacking her hand on the table. They were quickly earned a scowl and harsh shushing from Madame Pince, but the other girls managed to somewhat appease her with a few whispered apologies. Once Marlene had collected herself, she said with a grin, "That wasn't another girl though. That ended up being Sirius with a wig and some makeup!"