xvi| effervescent

ef·fer·ves·cent
/ˌefərˈves(ə)nt/

adjective
1. vivacious and enthusiastic.

"Wisteria hadn't expected such an effervescent atmosphere, let alone to instantly enjoy it as much as she was."

~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~

"Best get a move on, mate." Sirius warned James from his spot across the kitchen table, shaking his fork at the boy. A piece of ham dangled dangerously from it over the orange juice pitcher. "Wouldn't want Cresskle to beat you to the first love declaration of the year, now would we?"

James rolled his eyes. Swallowing a mouthful of eggs, he responded, "Come on, Pads. We aren't even at school, yet. I'll think of something."

The two boys were sat around a cozy wooden table in the corner of the Potter's kitchen. Since Sirius had move in at the beginning of the summer, this had become their usual routine: breakfast and planning, with the occasional pinch of gossip. They continued to eat their breakfast, but Sirius couldn't help throwing his best mate a skeptical look. "I don't know what's up with you lately," he finally admitted after a moments silence. "I've been trying to get you to prepare for the past two weeks."

"It's called a holiday, you know. Rest, break, any of these ringing a bell for you? And besides, we've prepped dozens of pranks already."

"Sure," Sirius conceded, "but you used to want to plan both. If I hadn't planned the Library Declaration, you would have been ending the semester with the National Dove Day Debacle."

James chewed on both his ham and his friend's words. Finally, he said, "Your naming skills are genius, mate."

The other boy beamed, pushing back his unruly shoulder length black hair. "Thank you! I've been working on a few others. I'd really like to use the word "incessant" in one of the names. Ever since Cresskle called us that at the beginning of the term, I've been trying to find one good enough."

"Cresskle? Wisteria Cresskle?" Euphemia Potter questioned as she walked into the kitchen and caught the end of their conversation, a box full of fine china balanced on her hip. "Has she responded already? You did tell her six, didn't you, dear?" The older woman set the dishes down on the counter and began to pull them out of the box with the utmost care.

James had suddenly become very red in the face and overly interested in finishing his breakfast after a quick nod to his mother.

Sirius, on the other hand, had grown utterly befuddled. He looked back and forth between the two before asking, "Cresskle? Why would you tell her-?" The boy trailed off, eyes widening as understanding seemed to dawn on him. "You didn't."

"I'm so excited you invited them, Jamie." Euphemia went on with a dreamy lilt to her voice. "It will be nice to have a full house at the holidays again, and I've been wanting an excuse to use these plates." She waved her wand at them and a wet rag began to lightly wash each one. Turning back to the boys with a smile, she seemed oblivious to the tension that had suddenly filled the air. "Now, I want you boys in your best by a quarter til."