Thirty:

Karma
September 10
10:10 pm

I could not sleep tonight because the bed was taken over by Benji and all THREE of his kids for some reason so I just grabbed a blanket and laid on the chair downstairs watching bridgerton on Netflix in the dark

I could hear footsteps coming down the stairs and eventually Benji walked into the living room.

"I surprised that daughter of yours ain wake up when you moved"

"Shut up" he muttered while laying on the couch with me, getting under my blanket and threw his arm around me causing me to smile

"You couldn't sleep without me could you?"

"Who said all that?"

I sucked my teeth and Benji laughed

"Kay. I been sleeping next to the same girl every night for years"

"All you had to say was yes but I understand. You just got too many kids and I couldn't sleep in that bed with all of y'all"

"Mufucka them yo kids too"

"Barely. The only one that like me more than you is Kyran"

"Cause you treat him like a baby"

"I have to. Kyran gone end up the forgotten middle child"

"No he ain't"

"Hendrix is the oldest AND the first boy and kinsley is the only girl and let you tell it.. the youngest. Then it's Kyran the middle child"

Benji sucked his teeth and I laughed

"I still can't believe we got kids.. 3 whole kids"

"Oh. I already said from the start I was gone get some babies outta you"

"Oh so you BEEN plotting"

"Hell yeah"

"But I thought you said Hendrix caught you by surprise" I asked, sitting up a little

"Let's be Forreal kay. A nigga spent a year in jail and you stayed down the whole time.. you should've known Hendrix was coming soon. Especially as much fuckin as we did when I first got out"

"Listen all I knew was my nigga was home and I was horny"

Benji smiled a little

"I bet so. But Nah, Forreal though.. I felt a whole lot better when you got pregnant with Hendrix"

"Felt better about what?"

"Shit. I knew if some was to happen to me you had my son"

"Benji you know I hate when you talk like that"

"It's the truth kay. People want my ass outta here, still"

"Well you ain going nowhere Dimitri. You got out the streets, y'all about to get this business going now and you got our family. You doing great and you laying low so no! You won't go nowhere"

"Sometimes I be wondering what my life would've like if I would've left the streets alone and just went to college like I planned"

"Well sometimes things don't go as planned for a reason. And give yourself some kinda credit baby. You did Whatchu had to do to help keep food on the table. Just look at the fact that you were able to get away from that life though because not a lot of people can say that they did or say anything period"

"I just don't want my sons seeing that kinds shit and think it's cool cause it ain't and ion want my daughter getting caught up in that shit too. And you might not like me saying this.. but yo daddy was kinda right with his reasons to not like me"