Chapter 19

Smita POV

Soon, I reached the Holi grounds.

I smelt a fragnance through the air.

"Bhaang." I smiled.

I never drank bhaang, but since I was a kid, my Nana (who was a Halwai) used to teach me how to make all kinds of sweets, and Bhaang too.

I reached the men who were making it.

"Bhaiya. Mera naam hai Smita Madhu Singhania." I started. (Brother, my name is - )

"Ji, boliye, aapko bhaang chahiye?" He asked. (Yes, Why, do you want some bhaang?)

"Nahi bhaiya, main bhaang nahi peeti. Lekin banati zaroor hoon. Main bhi aa jau kya?" I asked. (No, brother. I don't drink bhaang, but I sure can make some. Can I join you?)

"Aa jaiye na Bhabhi. Waise aap Dhruv bhaiya ki patni hain na?" He asked. (Please do, Bhabhi. Anyways, aren't you brother Dhruv's wife?)

"Ji haan. Main hi hoon." I smiled. (Yes. That's me.)

I started chatting with the man. He was my father's age. I helped him make some bhaang, and then stood up.

"Bhaiya, mujhe abhi chalna chahiye. Parivar wale yaha par hi hain, par woh khamakha pareshan ho jayenge. Aapke saath bhaang banakar bahut acha laga." I said. (Brother, I should go now. My family is here only, but they'll get worried for me. I had a lot of fun making bhaang with you.)

"Shukriya. Sada apne pati ke sath khush rehna, beti. Sato janam tak tumhara rishta bana rahe." He said. (Thank You. Always stay happy with your husband, daughter. May your relationship live seven lives.)

His last sentence made me feel that my tears were starting to well up, and I quickly went out of there, smiling at the man.

I went quickly to the side of a tree, and wiped my tears, and then wandered off to find the family.

Soon, I was in the middle of the ground, and the family was there too.

Shyam (I named him as the loch ness monster now) took notice of me.

"Smita Ji, aapko to kisi ne rang lagaya hi nahi. Main laga deta hoon." He announced. (Smita, no one applied colour to you. I'll do it, then.)

His red powder filled hand came closer, and I shut my eyes, but his hand never touched my face.

I opened my eyes to see my husband, holding Shyam's hand, giving him the death glare.

"Koi baat nahi, Jijaji. Khushi ko rang kisi ne nahi lagaya, to main hi laga deta hoon. Pati jo hoon." He said. (No problem, Jijaji. If no one applied colour to Khushi, I'll do it. I'm her husband after all.)

I looked up in surprise when he referred to me as Khushi and himself as my husband, specially considering that he'd said I didn't hold the position of his wife anymore.

I saw everyone else - Mummy Ji, Papa Ji, Anjali Di, and Nani Ji were also looking at him in surprise. Probably because he hasn't celebrated Holi since 12 years, as Anjali Di said.

I looked back straight again, and Dhruv had taken the red colour in his hands. He applied it on my cheeks as I stared, his eyes full of anger, sadness and love.

I was lost in him as Anjali Di spoke.

"Ahem. Khushi Bhabhi, aap bhi apne pati ko rang laga hi dijiye. After all, Dhruv ko rang lagana aaj kal sabke bas ki baat nahi hoti." Di smirked. (Ahem. Khushi Bhabhi, you also apply colour to your husband. After all, it's not everyone's luck that they  can apply colour to Dhruv nowadays.)

I looked at Dhruv, and he slightly nodded.

I applied colour to him as our family forced us into a kiss.

A kiss full of love, anger, sadness, confusion, and lust.

We separated soon, as Dhruv lightly turned away. So did I, and we walked away.

When the party was over, we went into our room.

Dhruv sat on the bed plainly.

"Mujhe pata hai tum gussa ho, lekin tab tak hi na, jab tak main tumhari patni hoon?" I asked, going in front of me. (I know you're angry, but only until then right, until I'm your wife?)

He looked at me, but still, nodded.

"Toh tum yeh samjho main tumhari patni nahi hoon. Aur - " I started. (Then think I'm not your wife. And - )

He blocked my mouth with his hand.

"Tumhe pata hai main tumhe Khushi kyu bula raha hoon?" He asked.

I nodded in refusal.

"To give you hope. One side of me says you're on Shyam's side, but one side says the truth is something else. And, if something's really wrong, then I want to give you hope to be on the bright side. But still, I can't trust you yet." He said, and left the room.

I broke into tears after he left, and felt my lips, remembering our kiss.

I walked up to the terrace, standing and looking down.

I felt so horrible, I tried to stand on the railing.

I couldn't balance well, but a power pulled me back. The strongest power I've felt.

A/N - Cliffhanger. Guess what the power was. Shh, Ella. Don't tell them. For me.