6. The view in a crowd of mortals

Leonardo

A few hours ago

As kids, we were fed the notion that anyone could change. It was a unicorn concept to push kids into brushing their teeth daily or washing their hands. Schools never bothered telling us that this change was only of habits.

During my training, I learned that personalities were the hardened foundations of a person. There was no altering them, nothing to manipulate them.

From the age of three, Antonio had been my shadow. In childhood, he sought refuge from recurring nightmares in my bed, under my covers. Since then, Antonio ceased being my brother and morphed into a sort of son.

His innocent demeanour and the way he used to ask for my permission before doing anything tugged at my heart. I felt like it was my responsibility to protect him at all costs. Not only did I copy Dad's nickname for him - little one - I also offered him the fatherly love my brother never received from our actual father.

So imagine my surprise when I arrived home and heard the rumors about Antonio Brenton. Like a Shakespearean play, the fearful, shy kid had dramatically morphed into an attention-loving, rule-breaking man involved in countless scandals.

Was it a change of personality, one that contradicted all my theories and notions? Or was he hiding his true self?

"How's this tie for tonight?" Antonio's question whirled me out of my thoughts. Several colored versions lay on my bed. My eyebrows furrowed, watching him coordinate in front of my mirror.

"Isn't Haley supposed to be helping with this?" I asked, only to receive a frustrating grunt from him.

"For the last time, Haley's our publicist. Not a stylist."

"Potato, tomato. Then ask your stylist."

"I can't." Antonio rubbed his face vigorously. Crimson spread all along his jawline, his cheeks. "She's on maternity leave. God, why do people have children?"

His lack of concern for a woman's child-birthing rights irked me. "Day by day, you're turning into Dad."

"Stop saying that. You can't judge me for what I want, just like I don't judge you." He pulled all his ties off my bed. "I was there for you, Leo when you wanted to escape the reality about her... About-"

"Navy blue," I said quickly before my brother dredged up the past I wished to forget.

"What?"

"I think navy blue will suit your skin tone."

With a slowly blinked confirmation, he smiled. "You're coming tonight. Right?"

"Do I need to?" When his eyes rolled upward, I knew what needed to be said. "I'll be there, cheering and hooting."

"It's not a match, brother."

"Then I'll do whatever I am supposed to," I yelled after him, as he left my room with his ties tossed over his arm.

By late afternoon, the number of people gathering to help our mansion turn into a palace for Antonio's upcoming engagement party increased. I watched from my window the influx of people emerging from one door and walking into the other.

Our once-silent mansion buzzed with strangers.

"Why are so many people here?" I exited from my room and asked one of the passing workers.

"I don't know, sir. I'm only looking into the floral arrangements," saying that, he scurried.

It was Haley who noticed my frustration as she walked by. Placing her phone into her pant pocket, she moved with me inside my room and latched the door behind me.