15. Wine and Dine

Zemira

Sleep caught up soon after I left the terrace and didn't leave its hold till mid-morning.

It was only when the screeching sounds of the vacuum cleaner blared outside my door, I realized the time. It was half past eleven when I began my day, hopping in for a quick shower. After the jolt of cold water washed off any residual speed, I walked into the kitchen to service my rumbling stomach.

A note attached to a huge pale blue box greeted me.

Let's take this thing for a spin.

Shall we?

I tossed open the box, the translucent parchment covering to find a delicate satin dress in red with noodle straps. My finger trod lightly, feelings the velvety softness under my skin.

It was Leo's gift but the reason for such a grand display remained stuck in my mind. After much deliberation, I decided to put it to rest with a call. Leo picked up on the first ring as if he was staring right at the screen when my number flashed.

His tender voice aired into the speaker and breath hitched in my lungs.

"Miss me already, Zem?"

"You wish? Why is there a dress on the kitchen counter?"

"Oh, that." A gush of air followed. "Because dresses are a girl's best friend."

I bit into my lower lip, listening to his singsong words. Leo always knew how to make me laugh, even during times when absolute seriousness was required.

"Did I get the lyrics right?" His voice sprang up.

"If Marilyn Monroe was alive, she'd die all over again."

"Wait, what? I botched up the lyrics again?" This time, it was the seriousness of his tone that made me burst out laughing.

"Yes, you did. We can't have you screwing up speeches and lyrics, Leo."

"Won't you take care of it, Zem Zem, if I indeed screw up some lyrics?"

Hearing his honeyed tone whisper, warmth swarmed up my cheeks. The bass intonations to an already husky voice always drew my thoughts to our first encounter. Shaking them off, I focused on our schedule.

"I'll take care of it, right after I tell everyone how insane you are."

"Zem," as if he was contemplating his next words, Leo's voice grabbed my attention. "Be ready by evening. I'll pick you up by seven."

"Where are we going?"

"Someplace only madlings would go."

Reeling from the aftermath that was his tone or the image of his sharp eyes whenever he stared at me, was hard. The funny thing about the mind was its ability to remain stuck on something. No amount of binge-watching or eating could put an end to the uproar of giddiness I felt, every time Leo's face flashed in my mind.

By late evening, I managed to control my wanderings to get dressed for the mysterious occasion. The attire fit me perfectly. Staring at my reflection, I imagined Leo's reaction when he saw me. It left a smile on my face.

Just in time, the elevator chimed open and Leo walked in. He tossed his bag on the couch and some files beside it. As he walked towards his room, loosening the grip of his tie, his vision shifted towards my room. I leaned against my door, waving back.

"You... God..." He stuttered.

"I'm God?" My eyebrows hooked eyebrow.

"No." He waved his hands dismissively. "More like Satan's minion."