21. Just when I thought...

Zemira

My arms outstretched into the colder side of Leo's bed. After the turbulent night yesterday, I woke up in his room, alone. Somehow I knew he wouldn't be present in the apartment either. 

An early riser, Leo was a strict professional on the work front even if he detested working with his father.

I tossed the covers off, conducting my morning routine. Seeking aid for my rumbling gut, I entered the kitchen to notice another memo sitting under the fridge magnets. My heartstrings strum, playing the sweet music of happiness every time I read his message.

I have got a surprise for you.

Be ready by evening, around 7.

FFFF

The signature - Fake Fiancé Friends Forever - launched a thousand firecrackers from the deepest pits of my stomach. A smile dwindled at the edges of my lips, replaying our night at the terrace. 

As usual, I realigned my gaze over his writing, adoring the slant of letters, and feeling its angular toll over my chest. It didn't take long before I leaned over the countertop, the paper fluttering beside me. 

Simple words of his affected me the same way as his vibrant smile, jellying my insides.

A grin simmered on my face as I pulled out my phone, contemplating how to play along. A storm of thoughts drifted through me, nudging me to take the next step. 

Leo was going above and beyond with his kind gestures. It was time for me to return the favor.

The call went through while I sat on the barstool, eying the piece of note. Ever since I met Leo, my own rotations recalibrated. He possessed the power to pull me off my center of gravity, riveting it on him.

"It's too early." Kiera's soft groggy voice addressed me. I muffled my giggles, aware of her likeness to sleep in late.

"Sorry, but I wanted to ask you something."

"At... whatsthetime...eight in the morning?" Kiera's voice rose and fell as if she thrashed her legs on the bed. Tainted with annoyance, she spoke. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. I wanted some advice from my dearest friend." 

Unwilling to divulge about the nights since my move, I stayed mum. When needed, I shall tell her everything. For now, I focused on getting her help.

"Fine..." A milder, complacent grunt later, Kiera cleared her voice. "Tell me, what is it?"

I gnawed at the insides of my cheeks, trying hard to shield my mind from Leo's thoughts. 

"So Leo and I've been talking... like friends..." 

I had to clarify now or else waddle through her commentaries for all eternity. Deep breaths emerged from her end, waiting for me to finish. 

"And he wanted to surprise me...again. But I want to do something beforehand. I mean... you see... the thing is..."

How could I explain to anyone, what I felt? 

How to word the tug I felt in my heart every time our eyes met? How to braid thoughts to reality about his honeyed tone intoxicating my senses, burning me to blush. 

I had fallen victim to a man and his vulnerabilities.

"Okay, smitten kitten. Here's the deal. You surprise him at the workplace. Wear sexy lingerie and an overall..."