41. Amor Vincit Omnia

Zemira

Since joining Saved - Ford hotel's NGO wing for destitute women - time had flown by faster.

Every morning at six, my alarm went off. I would be ready before eight and by nine, I would be in my office, ahead of my schedule. My evening therapy sessions continued with my therapist appreciating my efforts for maintaining a healthy living by exercising and keeping busy.

Small acknowledgements, small pats on my back boosted my morale. My motivating factor was how I managed these rough few months. My will to live, to not end up as a lump on the bed pushed me further into a robust style of living, away from the enticing call of alcohol and parties.

Though in recovery, there were times when the overpowering past had the power to transport me back to the day I was molested or the one when I saw Leo for the last time. However, I was stronger than before to swim my way back to the present.

"How can you love someone who won't love you back? I mean, it simply makes no sense." It wasn't just Kiera and Jake who had asked that question time and again.

I pondered over it, only to conclude love never required rationale or understanding. Though Leo didn't reciprocate my feelings, it didn't vitiate mine.

My office door rattled before it opened. I straightened in my chair, shoving away my daydreaming. Unlike his surefooted walk, dad walked in aimlessly. Blazing behind him was Kiera.

"Wow, both of you together today! It's not my birthday, isn't it?" I said, my quick wit falling on their deaf ears.

Dad didn't say anything. It was Kiera who pulled out a chair for him. All he did was plop on it. His palm rested his face, covering it. I turned to Kiera whose deepened frown made waves of worry lash in my gut.

"Is everything alright? Did something happen?" I asked, my fingers already digging into my cuticles.

Kiera gestured at my chair and I sat in silence, letting the two get to the point. Every passing second built up my anxiety.

Was this about Leo? Did something happen to him?

Was I in the news for some other wrong reason? Were our shares crashing again?

Like all things I carried no control over, I pushed those thoughts away. Leaning over the table, I inhaled deeply, tilting my head up to address my guests.

"Please tell me why you both are here?"

Dad nodded his head from the veil of his palm like the very sight of me could somehow hurt him.

It was teary-eyed Kiera who cleared her throat and answered. "Antonio."

One word. One name and my world were grabbed and plunged back to that dark day in August. 12th of August, on a Monday, when a predator found me alone and tried to harm me.

No matter how many counselling sessions I sobbed and ranted in, that image of me unable to fend for myself, of my uncried tear and unheard screams were some clear pictures in my mind that never grew hazy. They never ceased to exist.

I wasn't ashamed it happened to me. I was ashamed of the helplessness that empowered him.

"What about him?" I straightened from my chair and walked over to Kiera who fidgeted with the tassels of her bag. She didn't dare to look up at me, just like dad. "Do you know about..."

I wanted to confirm if indeed I was on the right page. Dad nodded in silence. Gray pants of his soaked big, fat teardrops jerking from his eyes. He still didn't answer.