3. The first time

Zemira

As adaptive beings, humans behaved well to challenges. They could adjust to fit with the change in the environment or society.

Over time, mankind had evolved based on the concept that when given a challenge, they would raise to the occasion and perform.

On that late summer night when I walked back to the threshold of the balcony, standing on my naked feet and readying to retake Leonardo's challenge, I felt more alive than ever.

Blood rushed underneath my skin, warming my body. My heartbeats reverberated in my ears, my breath pacing up as I focused on those few inches to the other side of the door frame.

"What are you doing?" Leonardo asked. He moved closer, evaluating the place I stood at. "And why are you standing on the door sill?"

"You said I failed in my challenge. That I'd lost. I'm here to prove I didn't."

"Kiera, listen to me." Running his hands into the back of his neck, he looked up into the sky. And back at me. "I'd said all those things to make you understand you were drunk. It's easy for a sober person to walk a straight line."

"Really...Then you do it."

"Fine." Crumpling his face, he moved me to a side and gingerly walked over the distance. Turning to face me, I watched as his eyebrows slid into his hairline. "Happy now? I'm sober. And so are you. You don't have to prove anything now."

"I want to...prove. That I can do anything."

I wanted something to distract me from remembering that by tomorrow morning, I would have to render my decision to Antonio.

I moved back inside, curling my legs up and sitting on the bed. My arms coiled over my chest as I watched Leonardo move across the room, popping open another beer can.

"You'd not let it go, would you?"

Swiping his thumb over his lower lip, he wiped residual alcohol. Mirth danced in his eye when he moved closer, pulling the chair with him.

"Fine. Here's your new challenge. Reverse count alphabets. And you only get two attempts."

"Done." This time, my hand hovered close to him, waiting for him to shake. "What does the winner get?"

He looked around the room, checking each corner. When nothing tempted him, he turned. "What do you want?"

"You've to say I'm the best. And you're a loser."

He chuckled. Then nodded. "Fine, kindergarten kid. I'd say that if you win."

"Okay." I took a deep breath. Leo placed a finger over my lips, halting me to speak.

"Not so fast, bullet train. What about me? What do I get if you lose?"

"My utmost respect."

"What?" He fell back on his chair. His shoulders moved up and down and the sound of his soft, almost inaudible laughter, made me smile. "And what would I do with your respect?"

"You can encash it." I winked.

Hissing air from the gaps in his teeth, he tilted his head. "You're one hell of a woman."

"I know. Now can I start?"

Upon his nod, I took a deep breath as if preparing to run a marathon.

Leonardo placed his chin over his intertwined knuckles, watching me breathe through my mouth. "Any minute now."