19. Hold me close and hold me fast

Zemira

Most people at the exhibition gawked at me as if I hopped out of a nude painting. 

To ease my nerves, Kiera interlocked our arms, escorting me around. Her caring husband, Jake, followed close behind, providing us with the necessary security.

"I don't understand anything." Keira pointed to a painting that had red and black squiggly lines emerging from the base of the canvas.

"What's not to understand?" I said. "It's focused on the dark matters of our lives that emerge from our inner self."

Both Jake and Kiera looked at me with unwired jaws. I moved closer to the painting, evaluating the broad strokes that carried a sheen under the bright lights.

"Or it can be the painter trying to narrate his state of high."

I knew the man attached to that voice. 

When I turned, Leonardo lent his hand out towards Kiera, his sight never leaving mine.

"If I may, Kiera, can I have my fiancée's company?" Leo said, making Kiera move into the graceful company of her husband.

It was difficult, damming the warmth from spreading across my face. An attempt to look away and allow my senses to realign failed when Leo tipped my chin up.

"You look splendid."

"Tell me something I don't know." 

He leaned closer, warm breath fanning the side of my face. His sweet scent penetrated every layer of my skin.

"Then how about this... You're the most beautiful sight in this whole room."

"More beautiful than that?" I pointed at the squiggly painting, trying hard not to blush.

"That, I apologize for. You see, my friend painted this at a café in Amsterdam, having assumed he was the next Van Gogh." Leo cringed his face. "I'm sure whatever he smoked there wasn't legal, to begin with."

After a brief pause, his grip grew stronger over my elbow. "Let's get out of here, Zem."

His airy words slipped from the back of my neck and braided into my spine. I turned to him, wide-eyed and mouth.

"What about the charity? After all, we are supposed to make an appearance for at least half an hour."

He kissed my knuckles, running his lower lips over the crests and troughs of it. His hooded gaze remained glued to me.

"We did make an appearance. Whoever had to see us, saw us. We'll make news by tomorrow. Now I'm telling you, the food here is crap."

"Let me guess," I curled my arms over my chest. "The chef who's serving tonight also smoked something illegal in Amsterdam?"

"No, he did that in Paris."

My teeth dug into my lips, barring another set of laughter from disturbing the silence. Not that I wanted to stay in a room full of pretentious snobs, but Leo's words convinced me to deviate from the schedule.

Bidding our adieu to Kiera was fun. She gave her blessings with hooked eyebrows before clasping onto Leo's elbow.

"Don't hurt her."

Leo raised his hands, letting out a dragged, weary sigh. "Why do you keep assuming I'm hurting her? For all you know, she's the one who pins me to the floor."

On cue, more heads turned, listening to his defense. 

I witnessed him scanning the marble flooring with his teeth digging into his lower lip.