11. No man should be left behind

Zemira

Trust was a frighteningly enchanting word. Whom or what one trusted made all the difference. I had trusted the interview to go well. I had faith that Antonio would iron out any wrinkle in our concocted tale.

My beliefs had betrayed me. Like a snake on the hunt, it had coiled its ominous hold around me, wringing me of my will to fight.

After weighing our options, Dad and I decided to give Leo a chance.

Setting aside what the media had dubbed his 'misanthropic' life, he was ready to help us. In a desperate moment, I realized I had taken the plunge to trust again.

The parking lot at Leo's company was vacant and so were the floors and cubicles. I pointed towards one translucent walled glass office, showing my father the way.

My chest felt heavy as I walked towards the brightly lit room, buzzing with life amidst eerie emptiness.

As we approached the office, my subdued logic woke from its slumber.

There could be only one reason why the Brentons hadn't discarded me like a used tissue. They needed my help to refurbish Antonio's tattered image. It was foolish to believe that Leo would prioritize me.

Nobody would hold water over blood.

Upon entering the office, I was greeted by Haley and Antonio's brooding faces. Leo sat in a corner, looking outside. He turned in his chair when the door creaked open, and the cold in his eyes made the hair behind my neck stand.

He wasn't the funny man or the errand boy today. He tilted his head, commanding us to enter.

This was not Leo. I was meeting with Sergeant Brenton.

Something about seeing him, the way he tucked his chin over his knuckles, lips pursed and his intense gaze looking at every single paper on his desk had me believe we might find a way out of this.

While I was still new to this game with the media, Antonio and Leo were aces. They knew what they were doing, especially Leo. I recognised it from the way he talked to me over the call that commanded me to adhere.

Leonardo Brenton may just be the man who might save me.

"Zemira."

Antonio's voice floated over before he approached me, palms facing out. As soon as I took them, the stifling tension in the air settled.

"You kids talk. I need to have a word with Dave," Dad said, moving out.

The Brentons and Fords hadn't always been friends.

Only a few years ago, my father and Dave Brenton had realized how profitable it was to work together.

The ill-fated alliance had continued with Antonio and me, who had decided to take it a step further, not realizing that our publicity stunt would scald us.

"Zem, I didn't mean for any of this to happen." Antonio's words, the tremor in his voice, exuded guilt. "I didn't even know I was being..."

"Hey," I gave his hands a gentle squeeze. "This isn't your fault. You need to stop blaming yourself."

In my periphery, I registered Leonardo shifting his weight as if he was uncomfortable with my remark. Ignoring him, I focused on Antonio.

"I can't get over the fact that of all the things I had taken care of, of all the priorities, I missed this." Antonio lowered his head closer to my face. I could tell, he was desperate to confess. "You wouldn't have done such a thing. I know you. Even if you would have been reckless, you'd still be careful."