28. Awakening

He has fallen asleep.

I softly ran a hand through his hair. He must be exhausted after everything that has happened.

"I'll wait for you to wake up" I said before getting up and going outside. I let the doctors know that he had woken up for a split second. I told them to call me if he woke up again.

I went outside for a walk. The sun was shining bright. Birds were chirping. I was reminded of the day that I went to get ice cream with Shoto. He was so happy. We were both happy.

I don't remember the last time that I was happy. I've been having nightmares and anxiety. I regretted my actions so much. The stares that I get in the hallway from some people hurt. However, I know I deserve it. I'm a horrible person.

"I'm a monster"

I closed my eyes. I remember when Shoto was feeling horrible about what he did to me. "No.. I'm the real monster here" I said and looked at the ground.

——

About 3 hours passed and I still didn't hear anything from the hospital. I was holding my heart in fear. I hoped that he was just asleep.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing.

I quickly picked up. "He's awake" was all I heard before I started running back to the hospital. 
I tried to catch my breath as I got there. I went inside and made my way to his room.

Once I got there, I saw that the door was already open. I slowly made my way inside

He was alone, looking out the window.

He turned around to face me. I didn't know what to say. I felt embarrassed and guilty. I was the reason that he was here. The reason he had to undergo so much pain.

I grabbed a chair and sat next to his bed. "You're awake" I said. He looked at me, his eyes examining me.

Was he judging me?

"I understand if you absolutely hate me" I spoke and let out a shaky breath. "All I want is to know that you're alright. The principal said that your braveness is out of this world" I said. "He said that you could come back to UC once you'd get better-" I started but Shoto cut me off. "I can't" he said. His voice sounded fragile. I could sense that he was weak.

"What do you mean you can't?" I asked. He let out a sigh. His hands were shaky. I held them. He looked at me before pulling his hands away. "I'm not strong enough to become a hero" he said and looked away.

I looked at him in shock. "What do you mean you're not strong enough?" I asked. "You're literally the strongest person I know" I added. He held his right arm up. "It's not broken anymore" he softly said. "But I am" he added.

"Shoto-" I said but he cut me off. "I can't save people. I can't even save myself" he said. His eyes were fluttering shut. I grabbed his shoulders and gave him a shake to wake him up again.

"Y/n" he said and looked at me. 

"Thank you" he whispered. I looked at him confused. "T-Thank you?" I asked. "For visiting me" he said. I looked at him surprised. How did he know that? "How did you-" I started but he cut me off. "The doctor told me. You've been visiting me every single day for 3 months" he said as I saw tears forming in his eyes. I held his hand. "My father apparently never visited me. Neither did my siblings nor my mother" he spoke, his lips were trembling.

"Shoto-" I tried to comfort him but he cut me off. "Why do they not care about me?" his voice cracked. "Aren't we supposed to be a family?" he said as he tried to keep his tears in. "So how come" he started and looked at me. "How come you're the only one there for me" he said as a tear escaped his eye.

I pulled him in for a hug. I was being gentle with him. "Shoto your siblings have been in touch with me. Your father has been very affected by what happened to you. He couldn't visit you. It would hurt too much. Your siblings asked me for updates about your health, almost every week" I said.

"I've visited your mother and told her your condition" I said. "She has written you letters. I've collected all of them for you. They're in a box in my bag" I said. He remained silent."She has been very worried Shoto" I said. "And so is everyone at UC" I added.

I felt hot tears on my sweater. He was crying.

I softly stroked his back. "You're not alone" I whispered in his ear. "We all care about you" I added. His grip around me tightened.

We stayed like that for a bit. He really needed this. Everyone needs to let their emotions out at one point. Knowing Shoto, he usually keeps everything to himself, causing him to break down at one point.

He pulled back from the hug. I cupped his face and wiped his tears away. "I missed seeing those beautiful eyes of yours" I said. He looked at me. His eyes were staring into mine like a little puppy.

"Y/n" he softly said. I gently smiled at him. "Yes?" I asked. "I.." he started. "..I love you" he said. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks.

His voice sounded so delicate and warm. Those three words that he just said, made my heart flutter. I looked at him and softly smiled.

"I love you too" I said.