Chapter 9

Veronica sits across from the twins at the dining table. She just picked them up from kindergarten. Ben rests his head in his hands as he listens to his sister talk about her day.

"I drew another picture for you Ronnie but I forgot it in kindergarten. You can have it tomorrow" she says.

"Thank you Ella, that's very nice" Veronica smiles as she cutes two sandwiches in half and hands them to the twins before she begins to make a sandwich for herself.

"Thank you Ronnie" Ben smiles and takes a big bite.

"You're welcome Benny"

"Thank you" Ella mumbles with her mouth full toast.

"You're welcome too" Veronica giggles. "What about some fruits too. Apple or banana?"

"Apple!" Ella squeals.

Ben looks at his sister and then at Veronica "But I want banana"

"No apple!" Ella protests.

"But-" the little boy starts but Veronica interrupts. "I can do both. No need to start a fight" She grabs a banana and an apple from a bowl on the kitchen counter and sits back down. She cuts the fruits into little pieces on a plate and pushes it to the middle of the table so everyone can reach it. She takes a piece of banana and puts it into her mouth.
"What do you want to do after lunch?"

"Oh can we go into the pool?" Ella asks excitedly "it's sooo hot today"

"Can you guys swim?"

"Yeah" Ben says. "We're four. Of course we can swim!"

"Oh I'm sorry for asking such a mean question" Veronica giggles. "We can go swimming but we need to reapply sunscreen and since we just had lunch we have to wait a little"

"Okay" Ella groans "Daddy always says the same"

About 20 minutes later the kids jump into the pool in their bathing clothes and reapplied sunscreen.
Veronica sits on the edge of the pool with her legs in the water.

Ella climbs on a unicorn float and giggles when Ben begins to push her around.

"Ronnie come into the water too" she says with a wide smile on her face.

"Not today honey. I'm not wearing my bathing suits and I washed my hair yesterday"

"Then wash your hair again" Ben grins and swims towards her. He places his little wet hands on her knees and looks up to her. "Please"

"But I'm not wearing my bathing suits. When I have to go change, you two need to get out of the water"

"Why? We can swim"

"I won't leave you two in the water without supervision"

"Okay" Ben groans and climbs out of the pool. His sister jumps from the unicorn float into the water, swims to the latter and climbs out.

"Can we stay here though?"

Veronica sighs. "I trust you but you have to promise me you won't go into the water. If you do it anyway, we won't go into the pool for the rest of the week and I will never leave you two alone again, okay?"