Chapter 17

Veronica nervously bites her nails as they wait for the doctor to walk into the room. Archie took her hand away from her mouth a couple of times already but not even he can calm her. So now his hand rests on her thigh. "Baby don't stress"

"How am I supposed not to stress"

"It'll all be okay. I promise" he smiles as he moves his hand to her cheek and carefully runs his fingers over her skin. His soft smile makes her relax a little.

"Don't promise me something you have no control over Archiekins"

Before Archie can answer the door opens and an elderly man walks in. This hair is blonde but already has a tint of grey in it.

"Good morning Miss Lodge. I'm Dr. Brown and I'll be taking a look at your baby today" he smiles.

"Good morning Sir" she says and takes Archie's hand into both of hers.

"I assume you're the father" the doctor says and sits down on the chair close to the examination bed.

"Yes Sir. I'm Archie Andrews"

"Nice to meet you" Dr. Brown nods. "Miss Lodge could you please lie down"

Veronica nods as she slowly lies down. Her heart beats fast and her hands are shaking. Archie sits next to her. He runs his fingers through her hair and kisses her forehead.
The gel is cold on her stomach. Usually she likes that cold feeling. A happy moment used to follow. A moment of big smiles, kisses and happiness but now she's scared. She's scared she will hear something she's not ready to hear. Well actually will never be ready for. Tears already form in her eyes. It's silent and that silence is really hard to take.

"So Miss Lodge, I've seen enough" Dr. Brown says as he turns away from the screen and towards Archie and Veronica. He hands her some paper towels so she can clean her stomach and sit up. Her fingers are still interlaced with Archie's.

"Well I can't say for sure because your baby is still very little so I can't see much but there is definitely something wrong with the heart but don't worry. Since everything else is perfectly developed and the heartbeat is normal too I don't think it's anything serious. There are a few diseases, major heart disease, I can rule out. I can say for sure in a few weeks"

Veronica sighs relieved "well that's kinda good news. How come the heartbeat is normal today? Yesterday it was too fast"

"Well the heartbeat is a little faster than average but nothing to worry about. It's okay"

"Will our baby make it? Can it live a normal life with the heart disease?" Archie asks.

"I'm pretty sure your baby will survive the pregnancy. I don't think it's anything big. That doesn't mean your child doesn't have to take medication though. I know you have a lot of questions but I really can't say anything specific yet. You have to wait a few weeks. There is not much you can do except for relax and no stress but I think my colleague already told you that. You will still attend your normal sonogram appointments just that afterwards you come to me"

Veronica nods.

"I'll take care of her" Archie says. It makes the doctor smile. "Very good" he nods. He shakes Archie's hand and then looks to Veronica. "I see you in a few weeks Miss Lodge. Take care"

•••

Veronica sits on the couch. Her left hand is on her stomach and in her right she holds the sonogram picture. As much as she tries she can't ignore the tiny white spot.

"Ronnie you're only making it harder for yourself" Archie sighs as he sits down next to her with a glass of water in his hand. "Here drink something" he smiles.