epilogue

— ➣ —

— ➣ —

THE FIRST THING the angel saw was absolute darkness. There was nothing as far as he could, just black. It felt like he had woken up — not that he really knew what that felt like since he hadn't really slept before — but he knew he was dead. He remembered how he died clearly like it had happened hours ago. He remembered the pain of his vessel body dying with him, his one regret now the thing that haunted him.

His vessel had brown tussled hair with chocolate colored eyes. Thankfully, he'd died before the worst had happened so he hadn't had to suffer with the angel for very long. He hoped he had a nice place in Heaven. Must be nicer than this.

He didn't know how long he stood in the darkness, waiting for something to happen.

"Good to see you, Thelsiel."

He turned, confused, seeing a dark-skinned woman with black coiled hair that reached just above her shoulders, dressed in a long black coat with a scythe at her side.

"Who are you? Where am I? Where is —"

"Quiet," she held up a hand. "You're going to help me with something."

"Answer my question then we will talk," Thelsiel answered, standing taller.

The woman chuckled, "You may be an angel, but this isn't a fight you can win."

"Who are you?" He repeated, not bothered by the woman's threat. He was already dead and had nothing and no one to lose.

The woman watched him for a moment, considering.

"Billie," she said. "And I'm Death."

Thelsiel blinked, stunned for a moment before gathering himself again. "Why are you here then? I am dead am I not?"

"You're right." Bille took a step towards him, the blunt end of her scythe hitting the ground with an echo that seemed to never end in the sea of darkness that surrounded them. "But you won't be for much longer."

"I do not..." he trailed off. "Why? Why would you want me alive? The angels killed me for a reason and I doubt they will be forgetting it soon."

"Yes, yes, I know," she said dismissively, sounding quiet bored with the conversation. "Consider this a second chance to make up for lost time."

Thelsiel watched Billie for a long time, considering his options. He knew this woman was Death, but he knew nothing else about her. How was he to trust her if he didn't know why she needed him alive? On the other hand, his other option was to stay in this place without any kind of chance at trying to undo his wrongs.

"What do you say?" Billie asked.

Thelsiel weighed his options once more before answering. "What do you need me to do?"

"Have you ever heard of the Orerionaught?"

Thelsiel paused. Yes, he had heard of the stories of a being with ten times the power of himself that would eventually control the Dreams, but over the centuries he'd watched over the realm nothing had ever been found. He'd honestly thought it was a myth, something made up to make sure he continued his duty.

"Good," Billie said. He couldn't tell if his expression really revealed that much or she'd read his mind.

"Find Arya Warner and help her. She's going to need it and you're the only, well, one of the only beings alive that can help her and I'll be seeing him soon."

"You speak in riddles, Death. Just tell me the truth." Thelsiel stared at her with wide eyes.

Billie ignored him and waved her hand dismissively before he sunk back into the inky black void and before he knew it, he shot up, finally awake, the familiar night sky soaring above him.

— ➣ —

I'm giving y'all whiplash at this point haha. Any theories about who Thelsiel is?

By the way he is supposed to be an oc so there isn't meant to be an correlation between him and any other being mentioned in any other religion.