The Right Kind of Wrong (9)

Chapter Nine

Albus glanced over at the Slytherin team and gritted his teeth. He was thoroughly annoyed and couldn't think over the ruckus and obnoxiousness that was Slytherin. He rubbed his temples as he turned back to his team. He obviously couldn't have his team practice their new tactics with the opposing team here. No doubt Malfoy would be watching and if he saw the play, it would be obvious what they were doing once the game was around. Albus looked at each of the players on his team. There was Lily, Hugo, Fred, Anna Wood, and Jeremy McLaggen. Six in all. His eyes narrowed as he recounted and he felt his annoyance grow. Of course his older brother was missing. As much as James loved the game of Quidditch, he loved pranking more. Albus clenched his jaw and looked around. He was missing a Chaser. He scanned the pitch, his brother no where in sight. His fists closed at his side. Desperate for another player just for the practice, his eyes fell on his cousin, Rose. She wasn't exactly superb on a broom but years of growing up in a Quidditch family and knowing the game, she would have to do.

"Oi, Rose! Go grab an extra broom from the locker room and get up here. I need you!" He shouted to her, hoping she would fill in for him.

Rose looked up at the sound of her name and shook her head wildly. That is all she would need, to make a fool of herself on a broom in front of Malfoy. She believed she was rubbish on a broom, it would be pointless for her to participate. She gave a sigh as Al gave her a pleading look and she threw her hands up in the air in exasperation. Sod it, her family needed help.

She sighed, avoiding looking over at the Slytherin team as she hurried for the locker area to grab a spare broom. Rose pulled her hair back in a messy ponytail as she emerged and mounted the broom. She kicked off the ground, not used to a broom as she didn't prefer flying. Her stomach lurched as she rose higher and higher. She hovered next to her cousin and gave him a glare.

"You owe me big time. Be thankful you're my favorite." She muttered as Al gave her an appreciative smile. He then directed Rose, Lily, and Anna to take some shots at Hugo while Fred and McLaggen practice with the bludgers, but not so that their teammates wound up injured.

* * * * *

Scorpius narrowed his eyes. He wasn't expecting that Albus Potter would ask Rose to play for his absent brother. Is Potter seriously out of his mind? He knows full well that they're playing against Slytherins. What was he thinking asking Rose to join the game? She could get hurt! No. She will definitely get hurt. Especially after his instructions to his team. If he tells them not to go with the plan, they'll get suspicious. If he tells them not to touch Rose Weasley, they'll get suspicious ten times more. He has to think of something.

He faintly watched Rose mount her broom and fly. She's no competition. She'll just be a burden, actually. But that doesn't mean she won't get hurt. Scorpius shook his head as his eyes narrowed, thinking deeply. While Albus told his team to practice, Scorpius ordered the Slytherin team to have warm-ups, check their gears, their stamina, their broom, and their fuel for fun.

He watched Marcus and Goyle swing their clubs, Blaise was circling the hoops. Lestrange was checking his eye sight for the snitch. Nott was testing his speed. Damon flew beside Scorpius, however.

"I hate to miss the fun," he said, sighing. "But I'll keep a close watch on your girl."

Scorpius looked at him. Damon just smiled. They both know who the 'girl' is. But what Scorpius was thinking is how Damon knows and why he's not blabbering. Actually, he knows that Damon's not the type who tattle. It's just.....

"Why am I not surprised that you always come to help when I need it?" asked Scorpius casually, looking around.

"Scorp, you don't need any help," replied Damon. "It's what you feel that needs all the help it can get. Imagine being infatuated to someone like her?" He raised an eyebrow.

Scorpius frowned. "I'm working on it."

"I know you are," said Damon. "Just be careful. Not everybody is as understanding as I am." He gave Scorpius a meaningful look and then left, to join Nott to test his speed.

Scorpius smiled very little. "I always am careful." He looked at the other side of the pitch. He caught Rose's figure and stared at her.

There's not other way to it. He can't break his word with the team. They were really looking forward to this. He sighed. He just hopes that she won't get hurt during the game.

"Ready when you are, lads," Scorpius called over to his team. They stopped and nodded gleefully.

So Scorpius flew toward Albus, with Damon and Goyle behind, and said, "We're getting old waiting, Potter. Are we playing or not?"

* * * * *

"Don't use any of the plays we have been running lately, those will be our best bet against Slytherin during the game, catch them off guard then. Plus Rose doesn't know the plays so it would be pointless...Okay?" Albus said, looking at each member of the team and Rose. He sighed as he turned his broom to watch the Slytherin team horse around, which is what it looked like to Al. His jaw tightened as Malfoy, Damon, and Goyle.

"Yeah, we're all set here...Let's play."

As Scorpius flew over, Rose took in his form and it gave her a moment to admire how he was on a broom. She blew a stray hair out of her eyes and followed her cousin to the middle of the pitch. This was going to be interesting to say the least. As much as she hated flying she still had to play the game when she had family get togethers, so eventually she would just suck it up and play the game. Rose wasn't a total failure at the game, she loved it. Yet deep down, Rose could feel her stomach churning uneasily at the prospect of playing against the Slytherin team. This wasn't a pick up family game, this was Slytherin and while this wasn't an actual game, it was bound to be brutal.

* * * * *

Scorpius nodded to his team. They took that as a cue to position themselves. Damon wandered somewhere behind Rose. The others picked the players they're going to focus on. Scorpius was face to face with Albus. They steadily shook hands.

The Quaffle has been released, and the game is on. Scorpius got the Quaffle first. He was fast as a blink of an eye. He sped toward the hoops when some Gryffindor player -- he doesn't have time to register who -- waited for him. Out of nowhere, Goyle collided with the Gryffindor player. It was so hard that he heard the impact. Of course, Goyle wasn't hurt. He's as big as a Gorilla. But the other one, however -- No. He didn't have time to think about it. No one was blocking him now, except for the one circling the hoops. He angled himself to shoot it, when he unexpectedly passed it to his side. A blur caught it and in the hoop, the Quaffle went!

Scorpius briefly smiled at Damon. Their tandem was really incredible. But they didn't celebrate nor left their positions, they just smiled gleefully at each other. Scorpius glanced at the one who has been hurt from the clash with Goyle. His face was indifferent as he looked. It was Hugo or Fred Weasley, probably. But whoever it was, they have to be prepared. Because for the Slytherin team, this is just the beginning of their fun.

* * * * *

Albus gritted his teeth as Scorpius scored on Hugo. The game continued, Gryffindor finally getting a hold of the Quaffle. Lily soared gracefully through the air, her small frame taking well to sharp turns and dodges. Lily glanced around her, tossing the Quaffle to Anna as a particularly huge Slytherin made way towards her. Lily pulled up and spiraled, losing the player. Lily smirked and made her way forward, the Quaffle being tossed back and forth between Anna and Lily. They were quick, short passes. Lily glanced wildly around, looking for Anna when she noticed Anna had become preoccupied with dodging a bludger and an opponent at once. With another brutal Slytherin coming at her, Lily called to Rose and let the Quaffle soar through the air and into her cousin's awaiting arms.

Rose caught the Quaffle with surprising ease. She noticed not many Slytherins were on her, they probably looked at her as not a threat. Although, Damon was close on her heels. Rose took off wildly for the Slytherin goal posts, a determined look upon her face. She wanted to prove that just because she was rusty, didn't mean she didn't know how to play Quidditch. Rose never would have survived in the Potter-Weasley household without that skill. She was still unsteady on the broom, having not played for months, but was still just as fast as before. Rose looked around and didn't see the two other Chasers around her. With a deep breath, Rose made her way to score on the right hoop, before quickly changing tactics and hurling it at the center hoop. Rose held her breath, hoping she wouldn't be made a laughing stock. She finally let out her breath as she saw the Quaffle graze the Keeper's finger tips and fall through the hoop. The next thing she knew was that Lily had crashed into her and had her arms around her neck.

"Ah, you still have it in you Rosie!" Al cheered for Rose as she scored, thinking that maybe if she had a bit more practice she could be quite brilliant at the game. Maybe if she tried out she would become a member. Al gave a thumbs up to Rose before going back to his search of the Snitch.

* * * * *

The Slytherins cursed. Scorpius wasn't happy. Nor was he angry. He was impressed. He never imagined that Rose would be capable of doing that. But then again, Rose just probably got lucky. Scorpius went to Blaise Zabini Junior, who was circling the hoops.

"I won't let it happen again," said Zabini seriously.

Scorpius nodded. He looked at Damon, and raised an eyebrow.

"I know, I know," said Damon, when close enough. "I didn't expect that. I won't underestimate her again."

"You're not the only one," admitted Scorpius. He certainly didn't expect Rose to score. But then again, they were all busy that and having fun that nobody bothered watching Rose.

Some of them wasn't very happy, though. Goyle, Nott, Marcus, and -- a distant cousin -- Lestrange. Scorpius knew those looks. He knew that a Slytherin weren't the type to let someone get the better of them. They were serious. Serious to get brutal.

Scorpius was about to tell them off but the game already continued.

"Damon, they're planning on getting back at Rose!" he shouted to Damon, as they chased the Quaffle.

Nott got the Quaffle and flew toward the Slytherin Goal. Lestrange was teasing Albus on the Snitch. While Goyle and Marcus was nowhere to be found. Damon was flying around Rose, eyes wandering in every direction. Scorpius stopped for a moment. And then, without expecting it most, a bludger flew from below. It hit Rose on the leg.

Scorpius stopped breathing. He quickly sped toward Rose, needing to know if she was okay.

End of Chapter Nine