The Right Kind of Wrong (18)

Chapter Eighteen

"Surely any idiot could figure out why I'm here, Malfoy." Albus spat, glaring at the blonde from his upside down position.

Anger flared within him as the most prized family heirloom disappeared before him. Not only was he livid, but the whole Potter-Weasley clan would be and would track down Malfoy and Damon. No one would ever want that many red heads worked up in a right state. Al clenched his jaw and his hands formed fists as he hung suspended. Distantly, Al could hear light, quick footsteps heading in their direction.

Rose appeared down the hall, her footsteps frantic until they came to a sudden halt. She stared in horror from her cousin and then to Scorpius. She felt her heart drop at the sight, realizing she must choose. Of course it was a no brainer, she would choose Al over someone she had just started something, whatever that something was, only twenty-four hours ago. Rose herself took out her wand and with a flick, Al came crashing down to the floor in a heap. She went and stood beside her cousin, wand pointed in Scorpius and Damon's direction. A fire ignited in her brown eyes as she stared Scorpius and Damon down.

"Give him his wand. Now." She said, her voice dead calm.

Rose did not lower her wand as her eyes flickered to Scorpius. She wasn't playing around either. Sure, Rose was angry at Al for jumping to conclusions so soon, but she couldn't deny she was also quite upset at Scorpius.

Al stood up, his blood boiling and his fists clenched tight. If Rose was not here he would have surely pummeled the two to the ground.

"They-ah...Took the Cloak." He mumbled to her and then looking away promptly.

Rose looked from her cousin and then to the other two. Al wasn't the only one who had been robbed.

"Give that too. That is not yours to take, regardless of his foolish actions. Give it or I swear to Merlin I'll make a Blast-Ended Skrewt look like a fluffy ball of fun." She glanced between Scorpius and Damon.

Rose felt a slight disappointment about what had happened. Sure, Al was reckless and, quite frankly, stupid, but the way Scorpius had retaliated bothered her. She knew right then that there was a side to Scorpius she didn't truly know. Then again, who knew this grave Rose existed beneath her delicate exterior.

* * * * *

"Ah, yes," said Scorpius, nodding mockingly. "Only an idiot wouldn't wonder how a Gryffindor like yourself knew your way here, which just happens to be the way to the Slytherin House. But since I have the mind to think and wonder, I'm rather suspicious by your actions."

Then, out of nowhere, Rose Weasley showed up in the corridor. Scorpius froze for a moment, but composed his expression just as quickly. From the look of Rose's expression, it's clear that she had to choose between a dangling Potter and a dazzling Malfoy. It was no surprise for Scorpius when Rose chose her family. Blood is thicker than water, after all.

"Give him his wand. Now," demanded Rose, after she cast the counter-curse at Albus Potter.

She looked quite upset. Scorpius frowned. She can't expect him to just watch his friends be attacked and do nothing. They're the third most important thing in his life. Potter was the one who's unreasonable here. Not him. He was just defending his friends. She couldn't possibly blame him for that.

"They-ah...Took the Cloak," mumbled Potter to his cousin. Scorpius and Damon heard it through the eerie silence in the dungeons.

"Give that too. That is not yours to take, regardless of his foolish actions. Give it or I swear to Merlin I'll make a Blast-Ended Skrewt look like a fluffy ball of fun."

As much as Scorpius was falling for her, he cannot just go out of his way to follow Rose's wishes. What Potter did was beyond irrational. He cannot just ignore it. Never will he ignore it.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Weasle-bee," said Scorpius tonelessly. He wasn't smiling, nor was he scowling. His face showed utter seriousness. "What assurance will I have that he won't curse us as soon as I hand it over? I don't think I can just dodge the spells, Weasle-bee. I know myself well enough to be aware that I'll fight -- till death, if necessary. But it's just an unreasonable mess that I don't want to be in. No," he shook his head. "I'll give it when Professor Slughorn arrives," he added as his final decision. Then, he tilted his head. "As for your precious Cloak, didn't I say that I'll come to collect one of these days, Weasle-bee?" He turned to Albus Potter, not bearing to look at Rose as the next words come out. "You owe me for saving her life, remember?" A devilish crooked smile appeared on his face.

In the Wizarding World, saving one's life is a very meaningful and powerful matter. You can't just ignore it. It's something that can make you indebted to that person for as long as you live. Scorpius knows that. Everyone in the Wizarding world knows that.

At that moment, Scorpius didn't want Rose to be there as he said those words. It hurt him saying it. He hated himself for saying such cruel words in front of her. He didn't want to look at her. He might take back everything that he said if he did. So he changed the subject before any of them could disagree. After all, the matter's settled. Their cloak for her life. Scorpius groaned inwardly. He hated this side of himself -- the coldhearted, prided, and reasoned side of himself.

"You know what?" said Scorpius, shrugging. "I don't care how you got here. Neither do I want to know how you could be stupid enough to come here alone. But I am interested to know why you came here and ambushed us. One of my friends is bleeding in the Hospital Wing, Potter. I want to know the reason behind it." He said his name as though it was a bad word itself. He wasn't smiling anymore.

But of course he knew the reason. He's not stupid. Albus Potter obviously suspected that they were the ones who hexed his sister. But Scorpius thought it best to act innocent.

His rule was simple, and Albus Potter broke it first.

* * * * *

"I am the one who owes you. Not Al, or anyone else. It was my neck that you saved, so leave Al out of the puzzle for that one. Also, that cloak just doesn't belong to one person, it is shared by many, which does not apply to this situation. If the cloak was actually mine that is another story, but it isn't entirely mine. Whatever you want has to come solely from me and not anyone else." Rose said, evenly. She could feel herself getting impatient and if it were possible, steam would probably be emitting from her head.

She didn't lower her wand either as she just stared at Scorpius. Rose knew he could be a downright prat at times, but the way he was acting now was unbelievable.

"So what if he is in the hospital wing, he'll survive, just like everyone else who has been cursed and hexed. Why should the fact that he is in the hospital wing matter so much compared to the many people you have done the same thing to?" She asked, her eyes narrowing.

Al yanked gently on Rose's sleeve, trying to pull her back from the edge she was rapidly approaching. His eyes turned back to Scorpius and rolled his eyes.

"Are you really that thick, Malfoy? My sister was cursed yesterday by some coward who attacked her from behind and given you and your goonies' history of hexing people for fun, one can only come to certain conclusions."

Rose knew that the conclusion about Scorpius was false as she knew where he had been yesterday at the time of Lily's accident, but she couldn't exactly tell Al to rule Scorpius out. Even while Al had been acting foolish in coming down here without hard evidence against any of them, was there really a reason for Scorpius to be acting this way?

Rose felt repulsed by his demeanor and, although she tried to hide it, her facial expressions and body language were practically screaming it. It would only be the matter of moments before Rose absolutely lost it and succumbed to her inner thoughts.

* * * * *

Scorpius looked at Rose apathetically.

"Why don't you let your cousin speak for that matter?" he asked. "It's his family heirloom, after all. And I would appreciate it if you didn't point your wand at me. It's not like I hex people who're lower than me," he added, casually shrugging.

He twirled his wand as he talked. He stopped and offhandedly held it in his right hand. It's hard for him to act this way in front of Rose. She's one of the very few persons who've seen him for who he really is. It must be confusing for her now to see him be this way. But she must be used to it by now. After all, he's been like this for five years.

Then, she spoke about Goyle. His blood began to boil again. It heats him up every time someone brought that kind of matter. He had to contain his rage -- as he usually do. He smiled in disbelief. He was really disappointed.

"Of course you'll say that," said Scorpius, shaking his head in disbelief, and his eyes blazing in furious rage. "Because to you and others like you think that someone like Goyle couldn't possibly be considered important, right? Yes, he'll obviously survive. But is that any reason for me not to care?" he demanded in a low voice. "The people I've hexed or jinxed, they're not my friends. Why should I care for them? I didn't notice you mind them, either." He cannot help but scoff. "But of course, it's different with a Potter -- or a Weasley," he said disgustedly. "Why is it that whenever we 'evil' Slytherins curse someone, people don't bother for that person? They're only interested in how talented we are for being skilled, not for the person we cast it to. But when it comes to you, people are dying to know if you're all right. It's just like what you said. Why should the fact that a Potter or a Weasley in the Hospital Wing matter so much to the whole school compared to people who're not known? Why, because your parents saved the Wizarding World more than two decades ago? That's them. You haven't proven anything yet." The bottle that's been inside him all these years got filled. Now, it's bursting. He cannot stop, even if he wanted to.

Scorpius turned to Albus Potter, and glared at him like there's no tomorrow. He gripped his wand. Damon swiftly put his hand on Scorpius' left shoulder, stopping him from doing something he'll regret. Damon glanced at both ends of the hallway, checking if Professor Slughorn has arrived yet. This is what Scorpius was talking about earlier. He didn't want to lose his temper. Because if he does, Damon can only dream of the things Scorpius will do.

“And you, Potter. Could you possibly be as dumb as I think you are?” Scorpius demanded to Albus Potter. “Don’t just assume, Potter. Think and find proof. Or at least, find a reasonable theory. But you obviously didn’t. Because if you did, you would notice that in the five years that we studied in Hogwarts, I never – even once – hexed any of you. Why would I bother now? Yeah, we’ve had our occasional banters. But clearly, unlike you, I don’t take that personally. Don’t mistake me for being dim-witted as you are, Potter. I’m clever enough to know that your family isn’t worth the nuisance. My rule is simple, ‘Don’t get in my way, and I won’t get into yours’. I thought you understood that. Clearly, I was mistaken,” he added distastefully.

"Calm down, Scorp," Damon softly whispered in Scorpius' ear.

Actually, Scorpius was calm -- to anyone who doesn't know him that well. But to Damon and the boys, this state of Scorpius is wild and unpredictable. That's usually their cue to stay as far away from him as possible. Because Scorpius very rarely loses temper.

Scorpius closed his eyes, pinched the bridge of his nose, and breathed in and out. He opened his eyes again, he was calming down. He now looked relaxed, only his eyes were still left ablaze. But he wasn't glaring anymore. His face now expressed a mixture of seriousness, superiority, and a little bit of boredom.

* * * * *

"You said you would come to collect for saving my life to me. And-" Rose's voice was growing louder, but it abruptly came to a stop as she stared at Scorpius in disbelief.

He had never hexed her or any of her family, but to say he didn't of anyone lower than him? Was that really what he thought of them? Of her? The terrible temper that lived inside her all her life was finally coming to the surface, she no longer cared to contain it. Rose for a moment swore she could see red as her wand arm fell to her side.

"You know what, Malfoy, perhaps the reason people don't care about one of you people getting hurt is because you hurt other people and don't care. Oh and people don't bother with those people you hex because you lot have instilled fear, not respect into them. They think if they help them, they're next. And are you so high up on your high horse about your talent? And what exactly are you trying to prove? Hmm? Because quite frankly, the only thing you are proving is that you are exactly like the generations of Malfoys before you. Strutting around like you own the place, hexing people because you feel like it, boasting about how great you are, and using fear to earn others ‘respect’. Nope, no different at all." Rose spat, her voice dripping with venom.

She had finally reached her breaking point. Her hands were beginning to shake and her ears were turning a brilliant red. What was happening now in this moment made everything that had happened yesterday come crushing down in an instant. She felt hot all over and angry tears pricked at her eyes. Al put a hand on her shoulder, giving moral support, before turning back to the others.

"I can't tell you the times you have "gotten in my way" and I didn't give a d.amn. Everyone else can see you for what you are, and if you really were so clever, you probably would have noticed that by now. And just so you know, I'm not the only one who thought it was you. I've kept my mouth shut about the matter, but that doesn't stop others from thinking about what may have happened."

* * * * *

"Fear?" asked Scorpius incredulously. "Did you really just say fear? Surely you don't fear me. So why haven't you bothered to those we've sent to the Hospital Wing?" He raised an eyebrow. "I don't have to prove anything to you people. And don't you dare talk about my family like that," he added, his voice suddenly deadly.

"Scorp," warned Damon, putting weight on his hand that was on Scorpius' shoulder.

Scorpius shook it off. "No," he said flatly, not taking his eyes off of Rose. "I'm tired of people judging me by my family."

He was extremely disappointed. He thought of all people, Rose Weasley wouldn't judge him by just like that. She doesn't know him at all. Even through the years of their continuous badger.

"Believe me, Weasley," said Scorpius venomously, for the first time using that tone with her. "I am nothing like what my forefathers used to be. They tortured Muggle-borns like your mother. They cursed blood traitors like your father. And yes, they did use the fear of others for their own benefit. But that's them. That's what they used to be. I learned from their mistakes. So don't easily judge me by my literal actions. For an intellect that's closest to mine, I thought you'd look beyond what the eyes can only see." Despite the anger, there was a slight sadness in his eyes. Then, he diminished it. He suddenly smirked. "Strutting around like I own the place? Hexing for the fun of it? Boasting and showing off? -- Oh, and I don't use fear," he corrected. "As a matter of fact, I believe that it's the lowest act to gain respect. Anyway, besides the fear thingy, I know for a fact that there are two legendary lads who were exactly like that. James Potter and Sirius Black," he said, mockingly thoughtful. "And please don't try to deny it. Professor Slughorn was the one who told me -- in details, in fact. Not only him, I've got Madam Rosmerta tell me, too. If you're going to tell me that they've matured as they grew up," Scorpius quickly added, before Rose could speak, "Still, they acted as what kids our age acts. They're just enjoying themselves. As what I am doing. We're not all noble like the famous Harry Potter."

Scorpius sighed as he looked at Albus Potter. He felt sorry for his low intellect. Actually, no. He doesn't feel sorry at all. He does feel as though he's about to laugh, though.

"I don't think that there are more 'others' who are that dim-witted, Potter," sneered Scorpius. "How could anyone come to that idiotic conclusion? Think about the facts: I've only just enjoyed provoking you, nothing more and nothing less; I've never really bothered dueling with you, because as I've said, if you get injured from it, the outcome will just be a nuisance to me; I've only really bothered with Weasle-bee because from anyone in our year, she's the closest I have to a challenge; I never hex a Muggle-born; And finally, I play fair, at least most of the time. Everyone in Hogwarts knows that. Be it in Slytherin, Ravenclaw, or Hufflepuff. If not Gryffindor, then I guess your House is just still to narrow-minded to really see that not all of us inherited our parents' beliefs," he added, shrugging. "We have our own minds and personalities. It's up to you to believe it or not. As for me, I have a clear conscience."

* * * * *

"You really are sick and twisted, getting enjoyment out of seeing others suffer. Not every kid our age jinxes people. I am not justifying what James Potter or Sirius Black did to Severus Snape, but that was the only time they hexed anyone. Everything else were harmless pranks. And look at you, digging up dirt on those we are related to. And you aren't the only one judged for your family. Look at you, judging us and thinking everyone worships the ground we walk. You think we believe everything our parents believe, but in reality, you don't even know us as people at all. We're no better than anyone else. But yet people have these crazy expectations of us, that we're going to do something great like our parents. It's daunting and overwhelming. Merlin forbid should Hugo or I fail at something because our mum is Hermione Weasley. And you don't see the fear because you're blinding arrogance completely prevents you from seeing beyond what your eyes see. And I will have a go at anyone who calls my family low." Rose ranted, her breath was labored, her chest heaving.

The comment Scorpius uttered about not hexing people who were low hit her hard and she wasn't going to let it go. He may not have meant them really, but he had never hexed any of them before. All the times before he had gotten under her skin seemed like nothing like this. Her livid look gave way to a smile and a sardonic laugh.

"You know what? Since we are so low, we are not worthy of your presence. I'm sorry that I ever doubted your superiority and intelligence, oh great one." Rose said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. She gave a slight bow and turned to leave, she was wasting too much time on this.

Al watched his cousin go before turning and walking up to Damon. He stared evenly at him and plucked his own wand from Damon's hands. He gave a scathing look at Malfoy before catching up to Rose.

* * * * *

Scorpius laughed.

"Digging up 'dirt'?" he asked incredulously. "I will never waste my time doing something like that. It's not my fault if they compared me to them. And correction, my dear Weasle-bee," he added, rather amused. "You aren't related to Sirius Black. Just wanted to point that out. Besides, I'm not blinded by my arrogance. I'm well aware of the effect I have on people. So be careful on stating facts. Severus Snape may have been always their target. But you're the one who's blinded by your self-righteousness to ignore that not all their hex had been harmless. Maybe to you. But certainly not to the people they've done it to." He paused and tilted his head. "If you didn't notice, the people I've hexed weren't injured badly. Never were they bleeding badly like what your precious cousin did to Goyle. And it's good to know that you're at least aware of the fact that you're being treated specially because of your parents," he added a bit more loudly after Rose.

Scorpius raised an eyebrow as Albus Potter walked toward them, paused to stare, and snatched his wand from Damon. He gave a look on Scorpius and left after Rose. Scorpius sneered. Damon looked from Albus Potter to Scorpius.

"Professor Slughorn's on his way," said Damon carefully. "How come you're letting him go?"

An evil smile stretched across Scorpius' face. "You'll see," he said. And then, all of a sudden, his smile faded. He remembered the look of hatred on Rose's eyes. Had it really been only yesterday that they were telling each other how they feel? How can he just change from that lad in the Room of Requirement to this lad who's acted a total prat? No. The truth is, he discovered a different side of him yesterday. A side which he never knew existed. But then, this happened. This wasn't any other heated exchange, either. This is personal. Scorpius doesn't expect her to talk to him anymore. After all that he'd said. The reason why they don't belong is very clear now. He may be falling for Rose Weasley. But only just now did he realize how wrong it i -- extremely wrong and inappropriate.

Damon suddenly nudged him. He looked up and saw Professor Slughorn hurrying his way down the hall, Lestrange and Zabini on his side.

"What in Merlin's beard happened here? Are you boys all right?" cried the Professor, looking from Damon to Scorpius. "I came as soon as I heard the news that someone from Gryffindor came here and attacked the Slytherin Quidditch Players?" he asked bemusedly. He shook his head frantically. "Who could it be?"

Scorpius glanced at Lestrange and Zabini. They didn't mention a name, did they? So they left that to Scorpius -- which is exactly what he wanted.

"It was Albus Potter, sir," answered Scorpius sternly.

Professor Slughorn looked at him as though he must have heard wrong. But in the quietness in the hallway, it can be clearly heard. So the boys waited until the name finally sunk in the Professor's mind.

"But of course it couldn't be," said Professor Slughorn, waving his hand and laughing weakly. "Don't be silly, m'boy. How could it possibly be Albus Potter? How could he have known where to find the way to the Slytherin House? And why would he even --"

"He suspects that it was us who hexed his sister yesterday," explained Scorpius. "And I guess he thought that it would be proper if he brought back justice by hexing us as well."

"Rubbish, you couldn't have," muttered the Professor. "I was with you boys yesterday. I remember seeing you in the Three Broomsticks. Drinking with you, actually, and I do hope that remains between us," he added more quietly to them.

Scorpius gave Damon a quick glance. Damon returned it with a brief smile.

"But he wouldn't listen, sir," continued Scorpius. "Goyle's bleeding in the Hospital Wing as of now," he added, looking down. His facial expression showed sadness.

"There, there, Scorpius," Professor Slughorn patted Scorpius' shoulder sympathetically. "Madam Pomfrey's a very skilled Witch. She can heal Goyle in no time." Then, he looked around and frowned in confusion. "But where's Albus Potter?"

"We had him, sir," said Scorpius, looking up. "We were only waiting for you to arrive. But then, a..... cousin of his helped him and they left quickly." He tried to ignore Damon's glance at him.

"Well, I hate to think that he's escaping from his mischief," said Professor Slughorn cautiously.

Exactly, thought Scorpius, smiling inwardly.

"I'll settle this matter right now," assured the Professor determinedly, starting to walk away.

"Professor," Scorpius called out. When Professor Slughorn looked at him, he appeared hesitant. "I think it might be best if we accompany you. We wouldn't want to trouble you so much by dealing with this all by yourself," he said very carefully.

"Why, yes, of course," nodded Professor Slughorn.

The others sneered at Scorpius. Scorpius just smiled crookedly.

"Lestrange, call Longbottom," ordered the Professor. "Tell him to come to my office with the Potters immediately." Lestrange obliged and went on his way. "As for us, we shall wait by my office." They nodded as they followed the Professor as they headed to his office.

End of Chapter Eighteen

______________________________________________

Yeah... They had a very serious fight...

Please Comment and Vote! ^_^