The Right Kind of Wrong (11)

Chapter Eleven

Rose slept like the dead that night, she didn't stir once. Her arm was draped over her stomach and the other dangling off the side. Her broken leg was kept immobilized for healing while the other lay bent, poking out from under the covers. Shadowy images danced through her slumbering mind until a pair of ghostly gray eyes flooded her vision. It didn't alarm her enough to wake up and end the dream, instead she hungered for more. She knew this would never happen in reality, unless it was a cruel joke put on by Scorpius. Yet, her dream flourished into her gray-eyed vision who proclaimed it was he who had kissed her and even in sleep, Rose felt warm and exhilarated. Turns out her sensory dreams didn't end with the one in the library when it came to a certain Malfoy. She could feel his every touch as once again, dream Scorpius reached out and caressed her cheek ever so softly. A sigh escaped the sleeping Weasley's lips, the first sign of life she had shown all night. Her body shifted, her torso turned slightly to where she had felt the touch and her face leaned towards the 'invisible hand.' Then it was gone and Rose frowned in her sleep, a pout forming across her features and she gave the tiniest, quietest "humph." Her expression vanished once again and she remained in her deep sleep as she pulled her pillow closer and nuzzled into it.

* * * * *

Scorpius sighed in relief. But oddly, a part of him wanted Rose to wake-up. He was a bit disappointed that she didn't. He was ready to tell her about the kiss. Then and there, he was ready. He guessed that it wasn't the time for him to tell her anything - yet.

He looked behind him. And then he faced Rose again. He pulled out his wand and conjured a Rose flower out of nowhere. He took out a little scroll of parchment from his robes and placed it at the top of the bedside table with the flower. He remembered writing,

Rose,
I had to make sure you're feeling well. So I sneaked in the Hospital Wing tonight to visit you. It was the only way I could make sure you're all right. And I'm glad that you are. You scared the life out of me. I'm sorry. I'll make sure nothing like that ever happens again. Sweet dreams, love.

PS. Soon...

He may not be able to tell her himself. But he was glad that he's able to tell her by writing anonymously. The 'soon' he wrote was meant for the time they'll meet.

He looked at Rose. He leaned closer and kissed her on the forehead. He stared at her for a moment before standing up. With one last look, he left. As he passed by Madam Pomfrey's office, he lifted the spell. He ruffled his hair on his way to the Dungeons.

This is bad, Scorpius thought. I'm already falling in too deep.

* * * * *

Rose did not stir for the rest of the night. The morning light invaded the windows of the infirmary and bathed Rose in its light. Her eyes fluttered open and met with the blinding light as a groan escaped her lips. She pulled the covers over her head, but not before seeing a rose and a scroll on the bedside table. Curiosity sprang across her features as she sat up and leaned over to grasp the objects. She stared at the rose and smiled to herself. It was awfully corny for her to be left a rose, but it still made her heart flutter. Rose unraveled the scroll and her eyes scanned the perfect handwriting. Her stomach proceeded to perform somersaults. It had to be her visitor from the library. Rose stared at the page, looking for hints as to who it could be.

He was sorry, why was he sorry? It wasn't his fau- Rose stopped mid thought as she stared dumbfounded at the letter. It was a Slytherin and he was on the Quidditch team, that much she was positive about. But who? Rose made a face as she thought of all the players; it couldn't be any of them. Well, maybe two. Damon, she remembered, had been tailing her the entire game as though he was guarding her, and then there was Scorpius... He had been the one to catch her when she fell, had actually called her by her name, and those eyes. His eyes had a look in them she had never seen come from him, especially towards her. He had held her so close to him and there wasn't a trace of harshness in his voice. Rose re-read the lines and twiddled the rose in her hand before a dark expression replaced the curious and elated one she had worn moments before. If it was Scorpius, then it had to be a cruel joke. He could be a convincing actor when he wanted to be. No doubt he was just trying to humiliate her and just get a reaction from her, and this reaction would be the grandest one yet.

Scowling, Rose rolled the scroll back up and placed it and the rose back on the table before she turned her back to it. It was too good to be true, she thought. Her and Scorpius had disliked each other for years and weren't even friends, so how could the feelings even be there? It wasn't possible for some to fancy and dislike someone.

Yet I do... Rose sighed in frustration, sitting back up. She would never give him the satisfaction of such a show her reaction would be. No way. Just then, Madame Pomfrey came bustling into the room and she uttered the charm that freed her leg from being immobilized. She examined Rose's leg, which despite some stiffness, had healed.

"We'll just wrap it in an ace bandage for now. It is still swollen some, but the break has healed. You will need crutches for a few days as well." Madame Pomfrey said before rushing off to get the contraptions that would make Rose the brunt end of jokes.

Rose let out a frustrated sigh as she stared up at the ceiling. The nurse came back and wrapped Rose's leg in the bandage and aided Rose out of the bed and onto the crutches. Rose glanced over and noticed that she had fresh clothes, probably brought by Lily. As Madame Pomfrey left, she pulled the hangings closed as she began to dress, her jeans proving to be a difficulty. When she pulled the hangings back after she was done, Rose noticed Albus had arrived. Judging by the look on his face, he was already trying to hide his remarks and his slight guilt. He managed a smile.

"Hey, Rosie...I figured you might want some help down to breakfast."

"Thanks, Al..." Rose said, as she gathered her clothes from yesterday, the scroll, and the rose in her overnight bag that Lily had also dropped off before handing it to Al and they made their way for the Great Hall.

* * * * *

Scorpius thought that it was all too fast. His feeling toward Rose Weasley was getting too intense and confusing. How could he have gone from treating her like the usual to falling for her in just a few days? It's all surreal. It cannot be possible... can it? Well, he cannot deny that he's been silently attracted to her from the start. There was always this magnet that pulls him toward her. That was probably the reason why he could not stay peaceful for a day without irritating her. Seeing that look on her face is always priceless. But maybe it's just that he wanted to see her and somehow talk to her. Period. And there's no other way for him to do that than to continuously tease her. Maybe all the things he'd done to her all these years was an act for him to have a reason to get close to her -- if you call that close. Without noticing it, an attraction between them grows stronger and stronger. None of them just realized it. Until now.

A memory suddenly flashed into his mind. A memory from his first day at Hogwarts. He was Eleven years old then. And he was with his father and mother by the Hogwarts Express. Lots of people were looking at them oddly. But he didn't mind then. His father already talked to him about preparing himself at Hogwarts. His father also told him that not all Wizards would understand him at first. So no matter what he hears or sees, he shouldn't mind it. Because he knows that in his heart, he's a different person than what people might think and say. However, he minded. Not what people think about him. But what they think of his family. They didn't have a right to just judge his father like that. He's changed. He's a different person now. A loving father that cared for Scorpius more than his life. And as his father was telling him these things by the Express, that he saw a pretty girl just his age. He thought that she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen. She was jumping up and down with excitement on her face. She was already wearing the school uniform. Scorpius was amused with this girl. Then, his father spoke.

"Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy," said Draco with a low voice. He kneeled down to level his eyes with his son. Scorpius attentively looked at him. "You're still too young to understand things. But remember what I will tell you, son." He paused, indifferently glancing at the girl. "There are hundreds of girls in Hogwarts. You'll maybe even grow up dating half of them -- Ow."

Astoria, Scorpius' mother, playfully slapped him on the shoulder. Draco glanced at her and saw that she had a smile on her face.

"Well, why deny the possibilities, love?" said Draco, sneering. He turned to Scorpius again and continued, "As I was saying, don't be afraid to fall in love with someone you shouldn't. The more the challenge is difficult, the more fun it is to prove the others wrong. But that doesn't mean that you should. There are plenty of other Slytherin girls out there from Wizarding families. Anyway," he added, straightening up. "You're a Malfoy. You make your own fate."

And then, his father nodded curtly toward the girl. Confused, Scorpius looked at the girl's direction as well. To his astonishment, the girl was connected to the famous Harry Potter and his best friends.

Only now does Scorpius understand what his father meant that time at the Hogwarts Express. He shook his head. His father already saw it coming. How could he, himself, not?

He ran his hand through his hair as he sat at the Slytherin table at the Great Hall. He began to eat and decided not to think about it for the time being.

* * * * *

Rose grumbled as she tried to maneuver her way down the stairs, an amused but guilty Al at her side. After what seemed like forever, they finally had made their way to the main stair case, which thankfully wasn't as steep.

"I don't even know why I need these stupid things...My leg is fine, it’s all wrapped up..."

With that, Rose tried to stand on her own but yelped as a slight pain and stiffness ran through her leg.

"Bloody Slytherins..." She mumbled and Al gave a laugh as he helped her down the stairs.

They had finally reached the Great Hall and entered and she began what seemed like the longest walk down the aisle she had ever taken to reach her seat. Her eyes fell on Scorpius at the Slytherin table and she tried to ignore the swooping sensation that ran through her. Rose grew anxious and frustrated as she finally sat down, putting her torture devices beneath her seat. He wanted a reaction from her; he just wanted to humiliate her. That was it, right? Rose glanced back up and looked over at Slytherin table. She noticed his hair had fallen into his eyes as he ate and she felt an urge to want to push it away so she could see his eyes. Rose felt a pair of eyes on her and noticed Lily had been looking at her, a glint of knowing in her eyes. Lily couldn't possibly know about the inner turmoil of her heart, but then again Lily was just like Ginny in that aspect, knowing everything. Speaking of her aunt, what would the rest of her family think? She knew Uncle Harry was open about things, Ginny too, and her mum wasn't judgmental. Rose's mind strayed to her first year as she boarded the Hogwarts Express. Her father had pointed Scorpius out to her and told her to beat him on every test and to not become too friendly with him, that Grandpa Weasley wouldn't be too happy if she marries a pureblood. That was it; it was her father's fault for pointing him out and telling her off about him. If you're not allowed something, then of course you will want it. Rose at that time just thought it would only be about the grades, but it had morphed into something much bigger than grades, but the matter of her own heart. She sighed and looked back up across the room at him. She could still remember the soft look that had been in his eyes yesterday at the pitch and the letter she had found this morning. Was it Scorpius? Did she want to know? Was it just some joke to him, playing with her emotions like this? Because it was a cruel joke for him to make her fall for him like she was doing. Rose sighed and took a sip of her pumpkin juice, trying to calm her mind of the rushing thoughts that swam through her.

* * * * *

Scorpius didn't notice Rose enter the Great Hall. He was focused on eating his food. He didn't want to think about troublesome things for the moment. He just wanted some peace. But of course, in his situation, the problem must be solved before finally being at peace.

He looked up as he reached for his goblet. Without meaning to, he glanced at the Gryffindor table and saw Rose Weasley. She appeared to have crutches beside. Her leg must have almost healed. He wondered if she got his note. It was his only way to talk to her normally. He hated not being to talk to her personally. He feels as though he was a coward. But then, he thought that he's only taking precautions. He's not ready to reveal how he feels yet. He's not yet ready to fully acknowledge it, after all. Because a small part of him is still thinking of a way out from this infatuation. There must be a way. There's always a way. However, a bigger part of him already embraces the idea of being in love with Rose Weasley. Which makes Scorpius confused and frustrated again.

It wasn't until Damon poked him that he realized his hand was still reaching for the goblet. He swiftly grabbed it and took a sip. He tried hard not to look at the Gryffindor's table again. So he decided to make a conversation with Damon to distract him. But before he could speak, Eric Williams -- the Head Boy of Slytherin, came by and stopped in front of them.

"The Head of the Slytherin House asks for the House's Quidditch team players," said Eric indifferently. "He expects all of you to be in his office after breakfast."

After the last word, he nodded at Scorpius and left. The team looked at Scorpius, as he looked back at them. He shrugged as though it was nothing.
"Scorp --" Goyle started to say, but then Scorpius sighed and stood up.

"What is it about?" he called over to Eric.

Eric faced him. He studied Scorpius before answering, "Something about a Weasley girl being injured yesterday."

Scorpius nodded and sat down again. He expected the news of Rose's Quidditch injury to travel fast. Most think of it as a silly girl trying hard to stay on a broom. But some can see right through it. The news of the 'unexpected meeting' between the Slytherin and Gryffindor team during practice also came around. That's why it was awfully quiet in the Great Hall this morning -- apart from the Raveclaws and Hufflepuffs who doesn't seem to have anything much to do than stare and gossip about the happenings from yesterday.

Surprisingly, Scorpius wasn't that much bothered from it. He has more important things to worry about than a summon from the Slytherin Head's office. He was sure that they can get out of it. He's reasonable enough to come up with an excuse.

When he looked around, he noticed that eavesdroppers from the other House's tables were already on their feet to spread the fact that they were summoned because of a certain Weasley girl.

He sighed and shook his head, bored by how the people are acting.

"You aren't the least bit of worried, are you?" asked Damon, slightly amused.

"No, why should I?" answered Scorpius incredulously. "I'm practically the Slytherin Head's favorite."

"Well, you're quite right about that," said Damon, grinning.

"Still," considered Scorpius, raising an eyebrow. "You lads should let me be the one talking."

"We always do," replied Damon.

Scorpius smiled crookedly. That's right. They always do.

* * * * *

Rose pulled a plate towards her, putting some eggs, toast and bacon onto it. She stared down at it, frowning. Although this was a typical breakfast for her, Rose found her appetite wasn't as it usually was. Sighing, Rose began to eat as conversation buzzed around her. Her ears listened to the words floating around until a few sparked her interest. Something about the Slytherin team. She looked up and saw that eyes were plastered on her and the Slytherin team. It was obvious she was the 'Weasley girl' that had been injured in the pickup Quidditch game. Rose felt her cheeks heat up and the usual pink flooded her face and ears, clashing with her hair. She ducked her face and let her hair fall around her and placed her hand on her forehead. It was bound to get out; nothing stays a secret at this school. Rose heard more uttering of how the Slytherin team was to report to their Head of House. She glanced over at the Slytherin table, noticing Scorpius' cool demeanor. She hoped he wouldn't get in major trouble for it, even though the Slytherins weren't really meant to be on the pitch at that time, but the Gryffindors were at fault as well, going along with the game and she too, for deciding to play. Rose looked back down again and tried to join in with the conversation.

"So, Rose...What is that sticking out of your bag?" Lily asked, coyly. Before Rose could answer, Lily had swiped the bag and pulled out the rose and the scroll. The whispers and stares intensified at the sight of her bag's contents. Lily grinned and sighed as she stared at her cousin.

"Rosie has an admirer! What does he mean by 'soon?'" Lily asked, handing the flower and scroll back over to Rose, who quickly put them back in the bag and avoided Albus' eyes. He could be just as protective as her father sometimes.

"I don't know really...It's quite a surprise..." Rose mumbled, turning back to her breakfast and trying to ignore the gossip that now traveled the Great Hall.

* * * * *

Scorpius and his team finished eating. They decided to go to Professor Slughorn's office to get the problem over with. As they were getting up, Lily Potter announced that Rose Weasley has a secret admirer. The Slytherins laughed and snickered. Scorpius sneered. But deep inside, he felt kind of nervous. What if they found out? He'll not only be the laughing stock, all he'd done to get their respect will also be shattered.

Damon briefly glanced at him. Scorpius knew what he was thinking. Damon knows that it was him who gave that flower and that it's also him who is the secret admirer. But Damon kept his mouth shut, which showed Scorpius how loyal a friend he is to him.

"Someone's attracted to Weasle-bee?" asked Scorpius, having the perfect face for disbelief, as they passed the Gryffindor table. "Who knew that someone can actually be that shallow?"

Everybody laughed. Scorpius smiled crookedly. Even Damon let out a low laugh. But truthfully, he didn't want to say it. It was mean. But it was the only way for him to hide his true feelings. And he also can't stop himself from teasing her because it's already in his instincts to do so. Besides, everyone knows that he's only that mean to her. To others, it was the neutral 'Don't get in my way and I won't get to yours'. Nobody suspects anything because he'd been like that from the start. They just assumed that it was the outcome for always being tied in every academic subject they have together. He also thought that, too. But not anymore.

In what he said, he might as well be referring to himself. He's aware of that. But of course, if he chose the word clever or witty over shallow, that would be too obvious. He hated referring himself as shallow, though. Even if he's the only one who knows it -- well, except for Damon.

Scorpius caught Rose's eyes. He dismissed every warm feeling that came over him before anyone could see that it softens him. So he tilted his head and gave her his well-known crooked smile.

End of Chapter Eleven

_____________________________________________________________________

Please comment, vote and fan! :)