Chapter IV: The pack

Skylar

"So uhm, what about your past.. Why do you live with wolves? " Jacob asked a bit unsure. That made me look away from him and at the ground. "Oh uh.. I don't really know what happened but I've always lived with them.. I'm guessing they found me and took care of me since I was a baby" I told him "sorry" He whispered. "Oh no, don't be. My life's nice here, hard but nice" I reassured him. He just looked at me, concern written all over his face making me look away again, feeling the tears that were threatening to fill my eyes.

"Jacob? " I asked as I tried to hold back my tears. He hummed. "If I don't uh.. Trust you at some point, please don't take it personally? I swear it wouldn't be you at all, it's just hard for me to trust someone and to let anybody into my life "

He looked over at me and smiled "it's okay, we'll take it easy. But you should know that I would never ever hurt you okay? " That made me smile aswell and tear up a little. I had heard that before once, but it never sounded that sincere. "Hey hey, it's okay, come here" He told me pulling me into a hug.

"I got you, I got you" Jacob whispered. I held him tight. "Thanks Jacob... Really"

"No need to thank me, you were the one saving me out there in the forest last night"

I smiled "something I'll never regret doing" That made him smile as well but then suddenly I heard a twig snap and a smell I didn't recognise behind us.

I yanked myself away from him and shifted as quickly as I could.

Jake jumped up with a confused look on his face. Of course he hadn't heard, my ears and nose were much more developed than any shape shifter around here.

I started circling around him in a protective way so he would understand that something was wrong and that the thing near us would see that it was a very bad idea to mess with us.

Suddenly I saw a group of wolves run walk towards us, those couldn't be normal wolves. Shape shifters.

They had nothing to do with Jacob's scent so they couldn't possibly be his tribe right?

I growled and snarled at them still circling in a protective way around Jacob. They would have to pass through me before touching him.

When the biggest of the wolf, a black one with dark eyes, stepped towards us and saw Jake, who was standing there ready to kill someone if necessary, he immediately stopped and turned to his human form, the wolves behind him following his example.