Chapter XXII: Encounter

Skylar

After the little talk in the house Jake and I went to the beach with the rest of the pack who were playing Soccer. We walked for a bit and then sat down on the beach, with my head leaning on his shoulder and his arms wrapped around me tightly. We just watched as the rest played games laughing a lot as I wondered what my life would've been like if I never met Jake in he forest that night. Would I have spend the rest of my life with the wolves? Would I have met someone else? Would I have met him later? Thousands of questions ran through my head but I couldn't know, the only thing I knew was that he and the pack were the best thing that ever happened to me.

"What are you thinking about? " Jake asked out of nowhere looking down at me with a small smile. I smiled up at him replying "nothing.. I was just wondering where I would be today if I wasn't there in the forest the night we met" His smile grew a bit when I added "but honeslty I couldn't care less because you and the pack are the best thing that ever happened to me" He then pulled me closer if that's even possible and planted a gentle kiss on my forehead. "You know, they all love you and look up to you especially Seth and Paul" He said without letting his smile fade. I looked up at him with a smile "I know and I won't let any of them down".

Few hours later I noticed the sun would set in a while so I walked up to the rest of the pack with Jake right behind me. "Alright boys and Leah, we're gonna head out. Seth is in charge and Leah second in command while we're gone but the shifts for patrol stay the same got it? When Jared and Quil get back it's Leah and Paul, then if we're not back yet Embry and Seth, got it? " They all nodded obediently.

Jake and I ran into the forest and without bothering to stop I shifted and so did he. Running right behind me Jake followed me to where we had  been told to meet up with the Fallen pack. The only thing I could hope for was that they didn't lie and wouldn't attack us or put any of us in danger. The run was a bit long and the sun was about to set so we had to hurry.

"You ok Love? "  I asked Jake through wolf telepathy as we ran "yeah just worried" I knew what he ment, I was worried out of my mind too but I just couldn't show it. Before I could answer we arrived at the spot just to find a bunch of people there and just by sniffing the air I could tell they weren't normal people. Their clothes weren't like normal human clothes, more like animal skins.

"Stay behind me" I told Jake, he nodded in his wolf form and without shifting back into our human forms we stepped closer.

"Well I see you brought company" A guy said. I supposed he was the leader because he was standing in front of the rest. There were about 25 of them, a lot to handle if you asked me but it was nice to see that there were some girls too.

Everyone was staring at Jake behind me so I stepped in front of him protectively trying to hide him but even though I was huge I couldn't cover him entirely so I growled as a warning which caused everyone to step back. "It's her imprint" A girl from the back said with a smile when she saw my protectiveness. They all stared at me in disbelief and some even showed some disappointment that I didn't understand.

"Skylar we don't want to harm you or the one behind you, we just wanted to talk so maybe you can change back just so we can talk? " The guy from before spoke, making me now notice he had the same Southern accent as mine. I thought about it for few seconds and decided it would be safe so I did as they asked and changed back.

I quickly put the hood of my black hoodie over my head so it would cover most of my face or at least my eyes

I quickly put the hood of my black hoodie over my head so it would cover most of my face or at least my eyes. Jake on the other side didn't change back, he stayed in his wolf form and walked next to me ready to jump into action if needed.

"If any of you try anything he won't be happy" I said gesturing towards Jake next to me so they would get a bit scared. They nodded slowly clearly a bit freaked out. "So what? You leave me surviving my whole life with a bunch of wolves and when I finally find myself a life you show up to put me in more trouble? Is that your plan? Or what is it? Because the only thing I know is that I'm supposed to be the alpha of two packs now and that my parents and pack abandoned me like a piece of trash 'cause you want it or not, you did nothing in these 18 years to get me out of my shitty situation" I snapped at the guy I supposed was the leader.

He looked at me with pity in his eyes which made me hate him more. After a long silence he finally spoke up. "Your pack needs you Skylar, we held on until now without an alpha but it's getting bad. People attack us, we've been through about 4 wars between us and other dangerous packs, people start to want you dead and our territory was taken in our last war. We have nowhere to go and no Alpha to lead us. You of all people should know what that feels like Skylar. We need you. " He tried to take a step towards me but Jake immediately jumped in front of me baring his teeth and I wasn't planning on stopping him.

"So let me get this straight. Y'all leave me in the dark for 18 years... And when you need me, y'all come running to me so I can deal with all your shit? What the hell! I don't even know if I can fucking trust all of you and you ask me, an absolute stranger by the way, to be your alpha!" My anger started to boil up inside of me but I wasn't planning on letting it take control.

Nobody said anything, they couldn't say anything but then I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. In the back of the group were people that were hidden by the rest of the pack. They were women with babies in their arms and kids holding on to them behind them. My eyes immediately widened as I stepped towards a crying kid at the end that had no adult that was taking care of her. With my imprint still on my side with bare teeth we walked through the crowd towards her.

"Hey, hey it's ok, you're ok.. What's wrong sweetheart?" I said in a soft voice as I kneeled infront of the crying lonely kid. I could feel all the eyes on me but I couldn't care less.

The little girl couldn't be older than 3 years old. She looked up at me sobbing uncontrollably "mommy and daddy didn't come back.... A- and I've got nobody.... " She said in between sobs.

My eyes started to water, reminding how much I would've given to have parents at her age. I pulled her into a hug and she hung onto me for dear life. I glanced at Jake, his eyes held a lot of sadness and so did mine. I turned around to look at the other people. "How much are you? Kids and babies included" I asked without letting the little girl go. "About 26 shape-shifters, 10 humans, 10 kids and 7 babies I think" The leader replied.

53 people, this was no joke. 53 people, kids, women, men and even babies without a place to go, some had lost family and some had no family left. Where the hell would I put so much people without catching human's attention? I couldn't just leave them there, even if I hated what they did to me I couldn't just leave them. I glanced back at Jake and he seemed to be thinking the same thing.

This was gonna be a long night.

#edited#