Chapter 14

Nights passed by as if it was crawling in all fours, shuffling in my bed I heard another thud from outside my room. I looked out on the window at the blanket of stars that stretched to infinity, they twinkled up above, sparkling through my eyes. It was the only thing that gave me a peace of mind, the only thing that kept my sanity whole from these sleepless episodes.

I wouldn't say I wasn't scared, but I could say I was used to it. The white lilies was just beside me, the pearly white petals curving outwards. They smelled fruity and clean, it was a fresh scent that I wish to smell everyday.

Usually, white lilies are given at funerals and weddings. It was something I would have least expected by Perseus. Even now, he was still on my mind like a glue. I was far from ready to see the sight of him again, everything replayed by in my head and I only wished that I was more confident in what I said.

Instead, I was humiliated by my faltering words. I wasn't ready, my emotions were not up for it. I'm still trying to decipher on what I discern, and it felt hard to know with the sense of foreboding mixing in. I gave up knowing, only because I was tired from not being able to drift asleep.

Still, there was no escape from the torment. Night terrors occurred every night, the same voice guiding me to my misery as if I wouldn't lose sanity. My mind was a labyrinth of nightmares, no matter what I did I couldn't seem to run away from my own head.

Was this a tribulation just for me? The Gods must be having fits of laughter from me, or maybe this home really is haunted. My mind was at the edge of a frenzy almost every night, I do not know how I am still sane at this moment in time.

After what felt like an eternity, I fell asleep.

I awoke from the sound of an alarm, my eyes glued shut from the sunlight hitting my eyelids. I rolled to the other side, but only plummeted on the floor. "I hate my life," I murmured while getting up from the floor after my fall, if this was a sign to wake up then so be it.

I picked up my phone from my desk and raised a brow, I looked down at my phone with a perplexed look. I never made an alarm yesterday. I could only roll my eyes and turn it off, finally giving my ears the silence it deserves.

The dim tab of my alarm disappeared and was instead met with Perseus's numerous messages and a rendezvous. I could only be baffled, I had no clue of what to say back. I had lots of time to think, maybe it's better if I pay no heed to it for now.

Just like any other day, I ate breakfast with my family. The morning breeze greeting me good morning as it soar inside the opening of the window across from me. "Dad, you should really hire an exorcist." I said with a mouthful of scrambled eggs, I couldn't stand it any longer.

No matter what it takes, I want it to dissipate into thin air. Those horrible terrors gave me nothing but pure iniquitous experiences. "What makes you think of that, (y/n)?" asked my father, who raised a brow while standing there beside the open window with a cup of coffee.

"Do you honestly believe ghosts are real?" Alex interfered, as if I was even talking to him. "Yes, right from the get go." I looked at him with a scowl, Alex replied back with a scornful smile.

A buzz was heard from my phone beside me but I only ignored it. "Aren't you going to pick it up, honey?" my mom pointed with her fork on my phone, "Did you two fought? Did he do something to my little bratty sister?" Alex roughly put his arm around my shoulder, I pushed him away and rolled my eyes. "Nope, its just a spam I've been getting from some number." I lied, quickly turning my phone off.

"If he did something to you, let me know!" Alex said in a heroic manner, but failed miserably.

"Mom, how did Perseus got in here yesterday?" she looked at me with a puzzled face, "He did?" she asked back. "Yeah, don't you remember giving him the keys to the house?" Alex questioned while we both looked at our mother who seemed to be thinking.

All of a sudden, she chuckled to herself while caressing her own cheek. "Oh my, I must have forgotten! I'm really getting old, am I?" she lets out a quiet laugh as she picked up her fork and knife. "Why would you do that, mom?" the tone of my voice came out harsh than prophesied. "Yeah, you never liked that other guy as much as Perseus though. What's his name again?" Alex put a hand to his chin.

I buried my face to my palms, "Eric, was it?" he snapped his finger like he just won a lottery ticket. I nod slowly, hearing his name made my stomach lurched. "I always had a bad feeling about him, good thing (y/n) broke up with him."

I never told them what had happened, but my mother seemed to be happy he was gone. I should have listened to her in the first place, that he was no good in my life. Even now, I can't seem to trust her instinct with Perseus. Maybe she's right that he's something that will bring good in my life?

I stood up from the chair, mom and Alex stopped bickering with each of whatever sorts of reason and looked at me. "Is there something wrong, honey?" my father asked with a hint of concern, "I'm...I'm going out with Perseus tonight, I'll be up in my room." before they could even say something I stomped my way out.

I couldn't glean more of what my family had to say, the process of making me exasperate was something I wouldn't take a chance on. Taking my phone out, I texted Perseus back.

"I'd love to go out with you! See you at 10?"