TEN | RED STAR

Depth: Forty-three feet above sea level

Location: Avenger's Tower, Natasha's Floor.

"Wait, I still don't think I understand."

"Neither do we. Basically, she's emitting some kind of radiation that can cause a lot of damage in large doses, and we have no idea why yet."

Bucky sets down his cup of coffee carefully on the table, looking across at Natasha with confused eyes. Outside the window nearby, rain beats against the glass, the droplets appearing out of the darkness of the night almost as if by magic. "How is it possible for a person to emit radiation?" Bucky questions.

"Again, we don't know," Natasha repeats. "I think Tony was hoping you could help us on that part."

Bucky scoffs lightly. "I don't have a clue... All that stuff goes way over my head," he admits. "I don't know what HYDRA could have done to make that happen."

Natasha nods understandingly, looking down as if to pick up her own coffee cup, but hesitating after a moment. Instead, she gazes back up to Bucky, wonder in her eyes.

"What?" Bucky asks timidly. He can't help but feel uncomfortable under the woman's gaze. He has an urge to make himself as small as possible.

"Whacha doing here, Barnes?" she asks, teasingly, but at the same time firmly.

Bucky flushes a bit. He had been hoping she wouldn't ask and would just infer. "... I don't know," he mumbles at first. "Just with me staying with Steve now, I don't really get to talk to anyone else who..." He sighs. "I don't know."

After he got upset with Steve earlier, Bucky completely ditched him, wandering aimlessly around the tower and just trying to stay out of Steve's way. He really didn't feel like involving himself in another conversation where he'd just be told what to do, and especially have someone tell him all the extra precautions he had were "for his safety." Eventually, he found himself at Natasha's floor. He figured she would be a much better talking companion, and thankfully, he was right.

"You want to talk to someone who gets it, right?" Natasha questions gently.

Bucky looks up, slightly surprised, but also relieved, that Natasha gets it. "Exactly," Bucky agrees. "Steve, he just doesn't get it... He treats me like I'm just..." Shyly, Bucky looks up to Natasha again for help.

"Like a victim?" she tries. "He treats you like a victim, and you just want to be treated like a friend, right?"

Outside, a strike of lightning, followed by a loud clap of thunder. "That's exactly right," Bucky admits, his voice as low as a whisper.