SEVENTEEN: NOW OR NEVER

Depth: Thirty-nine feet above sea level

Location: Avenger's Tower, Infirmary.

"Has she shown any signs of waking up yet?"

"No... not a one."

Steve sighs, rubbing a hand over his face. He hasn't slept in nearly twenty-four hours, and it's starting to take effect on him. "I still don't see how this happened," he says, shaking his head. "Bucky's never flipped out like that out of the blue before... there's always a trigger."

Natasha simply remains silent, peering in from behind the glass wall at the unconscious Tania on the infirmary bed. The woman's face is swollen and bruised all over; most of her facial features are unidentifiable. Tania's thought is also laced with hand-shaped bruises.

Nat frowns before speaking again.

"What does Tony think?" she asks softly.

Steve blows out a heavy breath, looking down at the ground and shaking his head. "... He wants him out," he admits. "We agreed on the holding cell for now... Hopefully it'll give Tony some time to calm down."

"Oh, I highly doubt that."

Natasha and Steve both spin around at the voice, and are faced with a stern-looking Tony Stark, his arms crossed and eyes piercing. Steve immediately huffs out a sigh. "Tony, listen-..."

"No, Rogers, you listen," Tony says, stepping forward with narrowed eyes. "We had a deal when he first moved in here, you know that; one episode, and he's out. He had an episode, so he's out. Doesn't matter what's happened before or since we made the deal, we still made the deal."

"Tony, you know he can't help it," Steve says, frustration in his voice.

"And you know that I don't care," Tony responds. "I'll give him time in the holding cells, that'll give us time to figure out what happened, but once that's done, he has to go... I can't have him in my tower, Rogers... not after that." He motions with his eyes to an unconscious Tania.

Steve debates on saying something in response, but at the last moment, he decides to stay silent. He understands where Tony is coming from, but at the same time he knows Bucky isn't to blame, not truly. He feels absolutely stuck in the middle, and he hates it.

After a small silence passes, Tony exhales. "Anyway, I did find something that I want you to look at. Come on up to the lab."

———————

Once in Tony's laboratory, Steve and Nat take a seat at one of the round tables in the room while Tony walks over to his experiment bench to grab his tablet. He begins scrolling and tapping for several moments while Steve and Natasha watch him, eyebrows raised.