TWELVE | AN EXPLANATION

Depth: Sixty-three feet above sea level

Location: Avenger's Tower, Steve's Floor.

Steve ushers Bucky onto his floor and into his main room, closing the door harshly behind him.

"Steve, what the hell's the problem?" Bucky asks, exasperated.

Steve blows out a breath. Bucky can't remember a time where he's seen the man even close to angry until now. "The problem is that when you snuck down to see her, whenever that was, you forgot that you have a HYDRA insignia on your arm. And she saw it. And now she thinks we're HYDRA."

Bucky's face falters as the realization hits him. His heart sinks into his stomach as he sighs, closing his eyes in annoyance. "Shit."

"Yeah," Steve responds, his face stern. "Now, I have to go tell Fury about what happened, and he'll probably have you put in a holding cell again."

Bucky holds Steve's gaze for a moment longer before looking away, sighing. He really, really doesn't want to go back in that cell.

"It's not my fault they marked me, Steve," he mutters softly. He's always hated that star. It makes him feel as if he's still HYDRA's property - not a person of his own, but simply an object who is owned by others.

Steve's face relaxes a bit, and he takes a deep breath. "I know it's not, Buck... but you have to think about these things. She's fragile, afraid, just like you were, plus we don't know how dangerous she is yet. If she would've saw the star and started to panic, who knows what would've happened. We're lucky she was as calm as she was."

Bucky gives a slight nod. Here Steve is again, scolding him like a child, telling him to think about the consequences of his actions. Although, this time, Bucky can't deny that he probably deserves it.

"Well, I'm gonna go report to Fury, I guess... Can I trust you to stay here while I do that?"

Bucky fights the urge to roll his eyes. "Yes," he says regrettably.

Steve nods at him. "Okay. I'll be back soon."

With that, Steve leaves the room, first exiting the main room door before heading into the hall and taking the elevator down. When Bucky hears the elevator door close, he immediately exhales heavily, running a hand through his hair. He's really done it this time. Unless Fury decides to have some sort of pitiful mercy on him, Bucky is sure he will be back in that fishbowl of a cell before the day ends.

So, in order to enjoy what he presumes will be his last moments of freedom for awhile, he sits himself on Steve's couch and flicks on a television program. He doesn't understand what's happening in it, of course, but at this point, he'll take what he can get.