FIVE | ANOTHER SOLDIER

Depth: Twenty-thousand, five hundred and eighteen feet below sea level.
Location: Bermuda Base.

"Alright, here's the plan," Steve says, scanning the other five Avengers as he speaks. "This base is airtight, and any damage to it could get us all killed, so no guns. Hand-to-hand combat only, knives are okay, but nothing that could ricochet and end badly. If HYDRA has any common sense, they won't use guns either, so we'll be evenly matched. The mission is to destroy the base and everyone in it. If there comes a point where there's any damage to the base, we have to get out, fast. It won't last long after a leak or dent in the walls, so that will finish off the rest of HYDRA easily... Any questions?"

The Avengers remain silent, mentally preparing themselves for the mission. No one appears nervous, but all of them are, without a doubt. Bucky, of course, is the most nervous of them all.

"The escape pods are automated, they've got the decompression pods preset and will take you straight to them. What's gonna happen is the pods will connect to each other, form a long line of them, so you can walk right into the base. Then, when you guys are ready to head back, just get back in, make sure everything is secure, then press eject. The pods will separate and head back to the sub for hookup. All you have to do is not fall out," Caitlyn says to them.

Steve nods to her. "Sounds good," he says, then turns back to the team. "We ready?"

"As we'll ever be," Natasha says. "I just hope no one's claustrophobic."

Bucky swallows uncomfortably and takes a deep breath.

The Avengers load into their individual pods, which are just big enough for them to fit into comfortable. There is a large, one-hundred eighty degree window on the front, with a control panel in front of the seat. Behind the seat is a little bit of space, with a very large hatch where the pods will connect together on the back wall.

Once everyone is inside, they check their ear pieces, which all work. After they are sure everything is in working order, Caitlyn's voice comes through each of the radios in the pods.

"Okay, deploying pods in three, two, one.."

The pods lurch forward, and begin floating gently through the overwhelming darkness of the ocean. Soon after, Steve's voice comes through everyone's ear piece.

"Everyone alright? Romanoff?"

"I'm good. Barton?"

"Awesome. Thor?"

"This darkness reminds me of space travel, it is very similar, so yes, I'm fine. Stark?"

"Besides the PTSD threatening to overcome me at the moment, I'm great. How about you, Terminator?"

"I'm fine," Bucky says through gritted teeth. He hopes this ride won't take too long for two reasons. The first is he hates being in this confined space, knowing he can't escape. The second is because he's never wanted to kill HYDRA agents more than he has right now.

Much to his delight, the ride takes no more than a few minutes. Unfortunately, his pod is last in the line of connected pods. Once the first pod connects to the decompression area, the pods link up, and the hatches open automatically. They know they have to move quickly now, as HYDRA will be alerted that someone has entered the base.